Student Services FAQs

  • Who do I contact at SMU about resources for student veterans?

    SMU offers countless resources for our students, including our student veterans. The Coordinator of Veterans Support and Services, a member of the Dean of Student Life staff, is available to assist undergraduate veterans connect with campus resources. Another good resource for new Mustangs are fellow veterans who can often be found in the Veterans Center in  the Hughes-Trigg Student Center.  
    Contact the Office of the Student Experience at or, or by calling 214-768-4797.

    For questions regarding certification and VA benefits, your best contact is Enrollment Services in the Blanton Building.
    Meghan Budig, VA School Certifying Official – or 214-768-4348


  • I am failing one of my courses. How can I get help?

    If you are having difficulty in a class, your first contact should be your professor to discuss your coursework and obtain suggestions for improvement. In addition, the Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center (ALEC) offers a number of academic support services ranging from individual tutoring, to a Writing Center to help with papers in any class, to workshops on various study skills.

    Please check the academic calendars to see when you are able to drop/withdraw a course for potential refund or to receive a grade of “W” on your transcript.


  • What resources are there for me once I graduate?

    Before and after graduation, SMU provides a number of resources in support of your career. The Hegi Family Career Center offers assistance to prepare for a job search as well as invites employers to campus to recruit. These services are available to alumni as well as students. 


  • How can I be more involved on campus?

    First, check out the SMU MilVets. They are the advocates for veteran students and also coordinate activities to connect veterans to the campus. 

    In addition, there are a number of ways students can become involved at SMU.  There are over 200 recognized student organizations open to all students – intramural sports and outdoor adventures through the Dedman Center; faith based groups through the Religious Life Office, honor societies and social clubs are other ways to get involved. Organizations related to your major also provide worthwhile involvement opportunities.


  • Can I participate in college sports at my age?

    SMU has a number of college sports in which students may participate.
    Varsity Sports (select a sport on the website to see detail contact info), Club Sports and Intramural Sports offer many opportunities to compete and stay fit.