Health & Wellness FAQs

  • Who do I see at SMU about resources for student veterans?

    SMU provides a variety of health and wellness resources on campus that are available to students, including veterans. The Dr. Bob Smith Health Center is a medical center offering both physical and mental health professional services. Our Counseling Services office now employs a former military veteran who can work with individual students as well as provide advice on campus services.

    The Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports is a full-service fitness center with swimming pool, basketball, volleyball, racket ball, indoor track, climbing wall, and state of the art fitness equipment. It also offers classes throughout the day.


  • Are any services available to veterans with disabilities?

    Yes, Disabilities Accommodations and Success Strategies (DASS) is located in the Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center. Its mission is to provide individual attention and support to students with disabilities. Its staff of five assess and work with students to assist them with their unique needs. Students diagnosed with conditions like PTSD, TBI, and/or depression should also talk with DASS regarding its possible impact in the classroom and on a student’s academic endeavors. Contact this office sooner rather than later regarding your eligibility for accommodations as well as additional support beyond accommodations.


  • Does the GI Bill cover the cost of SMU Student Health Insurance?

    If a veteran student chooses to purchase SMU Student Health Insurance, a receipt may be given to the Certification Officer in the Registrars Office to remit for reimbursement. Or, VA insurance can be used as “proof of insurance” if a student chooses to waive the SMU Insurance plan.

    For questions, contact Angela at the Student Health Insurance Office 214-768-3408/3470 or at


  • How do I make an appointment to see a health care professional?

    You may make an appointment by calling 214-768-2141 or use the “Patient Portal” at – Make an Appointment.


  • Who can I talk to about sexual assault?

    Help and support is available at the SMU Counseling Center for confidential counseling (214-768-2277) or the Chaplain’s office at 214-768-4502.

    There is a sexual assault counselor on call 24 hours a day – 214-768-2277.

    The SMU Police 214-768-3333 are also available 24 hours a day for assistance and they are can provide transportation to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital if needed.

    Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital – Dallas 972-641-7273.

    In case of an assault off campus, students should call 911. Students may also choose to report a sexual assault to resources including the SMU Title IX Coordinator 214-768-3601 or the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center  972-641-7273.


  • If I think I’m having problems with drugs or alcohol, to whom can I talk?

    The Counseling Center provides counseling, referrals and support for problems and questions regarding drug and alcohol or other substances. 

    Appointments with a counselor can be made at 214-768-2277.

    Consult SMU’s Live Responsibility website which can also provide valuable information and resources.