SMU looks forward to celebrating graduates’ accomplishments on August 15, 2020. While this represents an opportunity to bring our community together, we also recognize that this will not be a traditional celebration. The health and safety of all those who attend and work the events remains the University’s most important focus.
For Your Comfort We Suggest
- It is August in Texas, and it will be hot and sunny.
- There is no shade in stadium seating. Sunscreen is recommended.
- Dress comfortably. Wear light weight, light color, long-sleeved cotton clothing.
- Do not wear black clothing.
- Wear a hat or visor or bring a small travel umbrella (full size umbrellas are not allowed).
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Bring a clear, UNOPENED bottle of water per person. (Water fountains are closed!)
COVID-19 General Precautions
- Face coverings over the nose and mouth are required for all individuals in attendance at the Commencement Ceremony and Dallas Hall Rotunda Walk.
- Individuals in attendance are asked to maintain social distancing at all times.
- Seating is configured to follow social distancing guidelines. Candidates on the field of Ford Stadium are seated 6 feet apart. Guests are asked to sit in odd-numbered rows and keep 4 seats in between family groups.
- Guests are required to enter and exit Ford Stadium through the gate indicated on their ticket.
- Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout the venues.
Please complete a COVID-19 Self-Screen every day before coming to the SMU campus by taking your temperature and assessing various health symptoms. These symptoms include: cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, diarrhea, feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0°.
After screening for the symptoms listed above, if you believe that you may have new or worsening symptoms of possible COVID-19, please do not come to the SMU campus and participate in the commencement events.
Guest and Candidate Security Screening and Prohibited Items
Security screening is required for all guests entering Ford Stadium and for all graduates entering Loyd All-Sports Center into Ford Stadium. Guests and graduates are screened with a hand wand or metal detector; all bags are checked.
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to, animals (except service animals), backpacks, balloons, banners, binocular cases, briefcases, camera bags, cans, cinch bags, computer bags, coolers, diaper bags, fanny packs, firearms, flags, glass items, guns, inflated balloons, knives of any size and type, laser pointers, luggage, noisemakers, purses larger than a small clutch, radios, seat cushions with zippers, pockets or compartments, selfie sticks, signs, stun guns, throwing objects, large umbrellas (travel umbrellas allowed), and weapons. No outside food or drink except water in clear unopened bottles is permitted in Ford Stadium.
For guests, all bags must be clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and may not exceed 12 X 6 X 12 inches. Bags may be one-gallon clear plastic resealable storage bags. Small clutch purses with or without straps, no larger than 8.5 X 5.5 inches, are permitted. The clutch does not have to be clear and may be carried separately or within an approved plastic bag. Items that are medically necessary are evaluated individually.
Graduates are not allowed to bring clear bags, food or drinks into Ford Stadium. A small clutch is permissible.
Parking and Access
Graduates and guests attending Commencement activities at SMU on Saturday, August 15, may park in any of the University's parking facilities:
- Binkley Parking Center Located at the corner of Binkley Avenue and Ownby Drive
- Mustang Parking Center Located off Bush Avenue by the Residential Commons
- Moody Parking Center Located at Airline Road and SMU Boulevard
- Airline Parking Center Located at Airline Road and Daniel Avenue
- Meadows Parking Center Located between Bishop Blvd and Ownby Drive
- U Lot Located at Airline Road and University Blvd
Maps showing the location of parking lots and campus buildings, and directions to campus are available here: