IRS Tax Transcripts

If an applicant is not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, or is eligible and chooses not to use the tool, they will be required to submit an official IRS Tax Return Transcript in order to complete the verification process. 


Requesting Transcripts

The website has a new service called Get Transcript that allows tax filers to obtain an immediate PDF download of their prior tax return transcript.

1.   Click "Sign Up" to register on the site.


2.   Enter your name and email, then click the button to retrieve a confirmation code 

3.   A new page will appear. Make sure you keep this page open in your browser. Then check your email and enter the confirmation code on this same webpage.

4.   Enter your personal information. Make sure you enter this exactly as it appears on your tax form.  This includes any abbreviations used on your tax form must be entered when requesting a transcript.  ( Examples:  "Drive" vs. "Dr.", or "Apt." vs. "#"). If the information doesn't match, you won't be able to access the service.

5.   Download the transcript PDF.  Once you have authenticated, you will be able to download the PDF of your transcript and save it for your records.

6.   Submit the transcript to the Office of Financial Aid.  This can be done by uploading your document to the online Student Forms Portal (see the student "To-Do" checklist in My.SMU) or you can attach the document to an email and send to

Important items to remember:

  • Be sure to request a Tax Return Transcript and not a Tax Summary or a Tax Account Transcript, which do not contain the comprehensive tax data needed from the filer’s original Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
  • Signatures on transcripts are not required but encouraged.
  • Please make a copy for your records prior to sending to SMU..
  • If you request a transcript using Form 4506 or 4506-T, Line 5 allows for a "3rd party recipient". If you enter SMU's mailing address here the transcript will be sent directly to SMU.
    Laura Lee Blanton Building
    Division of Enrollment Services - Financial Aid
    Financial Aid
    PO Box 750181
    Dallas, TX 75275-0181