Educational Benefits

Types of VA Educational Benefits

(Click on chapter below for list of documents to be submitted.)

    Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (MGIB)

      The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree programs. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.

    Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation

      The Vocational Rehabilitation program is for service-disabled veterans who require further education to attain suitable, stable employment. This program may provide vocational and other training services and assistance including tutorial assistance, tuition, books, fees, supplies, handling charges, licensing fees and equipment and other training materials necessary.

    Chapter 32 - Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

      VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. This benefit may be used for degree programs.

    Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®

      The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Read more at

    Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

      DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree programs.

    Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

      The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree programs.

      Note: SMU does not offer Hazelwood benefits; it is only offered through public institutions in Texas.

      GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at