Give Now

Office of Transfer and Transition Services

Dallas Hall

Veterans at SMU

SMU is proud to have students who have served their country in the armed services. There are many undergraduate transfer students on campus from all branches of the military. These veterans enhance our community through the experiences they bring and the commitment they have to their education.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill makes an SMU education accessible and affordable. The University is also pleased to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program for veterans who are 100% benefit eligible. For more information about SMU’s commitment to veterans, please go to the Veterans website at

More information about applying for your veterans benefits is available on SMU's Quick Connect Guide titled "Information for Veterans Transferring as Undergraduates." 

SMU Transfer Admissions: Military Veterans Frequently Asked Questions 

Are military veterans considered transfer students for the admission application process?

Yes, military veterans are considered transfer students for the admission process due to their military transcripts. 

Will my high school performance and ACT/SAT be considered?

All high school coursework and ACT/SAT test scores will be considered in the admission process for transfer applicants with fewer than 30 credit hours of transferable college coursework. Vocational, remedial or technical classes will not transfer to SMU.

Does SMU participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to cover the cost of tuition for Post-9/11 GI Bill students?

As of fall 2011, SMU is a Yellow Ribbon Program participating school. To be considered for benefits, Yellow Ribbon recipients must be 100% eligible on the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Participation differs from program to program. Please see our Veteran Affairs Yellow Ribbon Program page for additional information regarding specific Yellow Ribbon funds at

Who will assist me with certifying my attendance in order to receive my GI Bill benefits from the VA?

Certifying attendance with the VA is completed through SMU’s Registrar’s Office. SMU’s Veterans Affairs Certifying Official is Mitzie Goff

Will my military credit transfer?

No. Military credit is not transferable to SMU. 

Where can I learn more about the GI Bill?

Does SMU offer any counseling or therapy programs for military veterans?

All SMU students have access to SMU’s Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) as well as the Memorial Health Center. The counseling center offers SMU students individual counseling, psychiatric counseling and referral services.