The University Advising Center (UAC) is pleased to announce that we are entering our third year of the Peer Academic Leaders (PALs) program in collaboration with Residence Life and Student Housing (RLSH). The primary goals of PALs are to help students better understand the University Curriculum and utilize academic resources through peer mentoring. Other universities across the country have seen improved student satisfaction and competence through the implementation of similar programming. Through PALs, SMU students will have the opportunity to actively shape the learning experience of their residential commons.
PALs are a diverse group of undergraduate students who share a common desire to help other students navigate academic challenges. Under the direction of the University Advising Center, PALs work directly with first and second year residents, empowering them to take ownership of their collegiate careers through mentorship and educational programming.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Current first- or second-year student with the intent to live on campus for the 2016-2017 academic year
- Good academic and disciplinary standing with the University
- Responsible, reliable, flexible, with the ability to work independently
- Tech savvy with social media knowledge (e.g. my.smu.edu, Canvas, Facebook, Twitter)
- Excellent planning, communication and organizational skills
- Serve as initial contact for students with general advising questions
- Coordinate regular programming to offer:
- navigation of my.smu.edu
- basic understanding of the University Curriculum
- Remind students of important dates and deadlines
- Attend monthly meeting with PAL supervisor(s)
- Help RC by serving on the opening Welcome Crew
- Serve as assistants during Summer A.A.R.O sessions* (*not a requirement but encouraged if PAL is available)
- Attend PAL training beginning Friday, August 12th, 2016 and select days during RA Training
- Participate in other trainings as necessary**
**There may be a need for additional trainings throughout the term
Note: PALs are expected to participate fully in training sessions. Special arrangements can be made for academic obligations. Arrangements must be made prior to the absence.
PAL Selection (selection will include):
- Formal application (3 professional references required)
- Group interviews
- Final review of candidates by UAC, RLSH, and RCDs
- Develop leadership skills by guiding peers through experiential education program
- Gain event planning experience through coordination and execution of programming
- Serve as student liaison for the University Advising Center in your RC
- Earn Proficiency and Experience credits for the University Curriculum
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Apply Now" button.
- If you are having issues accessing the form, log out of your ORGS account, then click on the link, and then log-in.
Contact: Sheumona Miller (email@example.com), Josh Beaty (firstname.lastname@example.org), DeMarias O'Banner (email@example.com) with questions or for additional information.