Dr. Rolf Tamnes (Ph.D., University of Oslo) served as Director of the Norwegian Institute for Defense Studies (Institutt for forsvarsstudier) between 1996 and 2012. In 2015, he led a government-appointed expert commission on Norwegian Security and Defense Policy. Dr. Tamnes has headed a research program on Geopolitics of the High North in the past, and is now leading a research program on Security and Defense in Northern Europe.
To learn more about this interviewee, please consult the links below.
- Biography from Forsvaret.no.
- Tamnes' coauthored book on geopolitics in the high north, Geopolitics and Security in the Artic: Regional Dynamics in a Global World.
- Tamnes was chair of a government mandated study in 2015, "Unified Effort - Expert Commission on Norwegian Security and Defense Policy."
- Norway may rethink opposition to EU membership after Bush's reelection (November 5, 2004)
- Outline of US policy for dealing with threats against allies from weapons of mass destruction (March 1, 2006)
- Tamnes, Geopolitics and Security in the Arctic (book) (July 7, 2011)
- Tamnes, The Significance of the North Atlantic and the Norwegian Contribution (article) (March 5, 2017)