The requirements for the B.A. and B.S. degrees change from time to time, we encourage all students to read the relevant sections of the undergraduate catalog:
As of Fall 2018, the two degrees differ only the requirement of two science courses in the B.S., so most students pursue the B.S. Within the B.S., students must pick a specialization, and we recommend the following choices:
- Students with no double majors choose either the Pure or Applied/Numerical Specialization.
- Students with a double major in engineering (ME, EE, CEE) choose the Engineering specialization.
- Students with a double major in Computer science choose the Computer Science specialization.
Finally, to complete a major in any department within Dedman College, students must:
- attain a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.00 on all major coursework attempted at SMU;
- receive a grade of at least C- in all courses taken in fulfillment of the major requirements;
- complete a minimum of 18 hours of advanced major coursework (i.e. 3000+ courses) in residence.
To declare Mathematics as your first major, you must work with your pre-major advisor. To declare Mathematics as a second major, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies (currently firstname.lastname@example.org).