|Office:||Dallas Hall Room 352|
Ph.D., History of American Civilization, Harvard University, 1995
A.M., History, Harvard University, 1990
B.A., History, Carleton College, 1989
Diploma, West Mesa High School (Albuquerque, NM), 1984
Major Awards, Prizes, Fellowships and Grants
For Time's Touchstone: The New Year in American Life (in process): National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship (2016-17), Center for Presidential History Grant (SMU), Gerald Ford Research Fellowship (SMU), University Research Council Grant (SMU).
For Marking Modern Times: Clocks, Watches and Other Timekeepers in American Life (2013): SMU Godbey Book Award, National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship for College Teachers, Non-stipendary Warren Center Fellowship (Harvard University), University Research Council Grant (SMU), Hagley Museum and Library Fellowship, Lemelson Center Research Grant (National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution).
For Land of Desire: Consumer Culture in the United States-Mexico Borderlands (2009): Clements Center for Southwest Studies Symposium Fund (SMU).
For Holy Day, Holiday: The American Sunday (2000): Choice Outstanding Scholarly Publication, SMU Godbey Author Award, Louisville Institute Summer Fellowship, Littleton-Griswold Grant (American Historical Association), University Research Council Grant (SMU), Whiting Dissertation Fellowship.
- Marking Modern Times: A History of Clocks, Watches, and other Timekeepers in American Life (University of Chicago Press, 2013)
- Land of Necessity: Consumer Culture in the United States-Mexico Borderlands (Duke University Press, 2009)
- Holy Day, Holiday: The American Sunday (Cornell University Press, 2000)
- Undergraduate instruction: History of Cultural Institutions; U.S. History Since 1877 Survey; Nineteenth Century America
- Graduate seminar: U.S. History, 1787-1877; American History, 1812-1877; U.S. History, 1877-1932; History of Temporalities