Advising, Distribution, and Petitioning


Before the beginning of the advising period each semester, your adviser will be available for conferences. Before seeing your adviser, read through the University’s Schedule of Classes on My.SMU, your Degree Progress Report, and the English Department course descriptions, so that you will have a firm idea about courses you want to take.

If you wish to change advisers (or you do not know who your adviser it), you should speak with Leslie Reid (Room 5).

In approving your Course Request for next semester, your adviser will check to be sure that you have fulfilled, or are making necessary progress toward fulfilling, the course requirements of Dedman College and the English Department.

If you are a graduating senior, you will need to fill out a Degree Verification--Diploma Request form in the Dedman Records, 134 Clements Hall. For the deadline for filing, see the University Calendar: http://www.smu.edu/EnrollmentServices/Registrar/AcademicCalendarsCourseCatalogs/AcademicCalendars.


For students subject to the General Education Curriculum, GEC requirements prescribe that:

1.   Students whose first major is English may not satisfy Perspectives requirements with

English Department courses.

2.   Courses that are cross-listed as English and Cultural Formations will satisfy only one requirement: major if taken as ENGL, or GEC if taken as CF.

3.   The Human Diversity Co-Curricular requirement may be satisfied with courses in the major.

For students subject to the University Curriculum, consult the UC web site.


If you wish to petition for a course substitution or waiver of the requirements of Dedman College, you should obtain a petition form from the Dedman College Student Records web site: http://www.smu.edu/Dedman/StudentResources/DedmanRecordsandAcademicServices. After you have filled in the form, leave it in the English Department Office to be signed by the Director of Undergraduate English Studies. You will be contacted when the form is ready to pick up.