Assistant Professor, Harold A. Jeskey Endowed Chair in Chemistry
|Office:||309 Fondren Science|
Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Girona, Girona, Spain, 2008-2011; M. Sci. Inorganic Chemistry, University of Girona, Girona, Spain, 2006-2008; Chemistry degree, University of Girona, Girona, Spain, 2002-2006
- Assistant Professor, Southern Methodist University, 2015-present
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2012-2015
Metalloenzymes constitute a paradigmatic example of ideal catalysts. Fine tuning of the first and second coordination spheres in combination with the use of preferred readily available first row metal ions permit them to carry out a wide range of synthetic transformations. Especially relevant are the processes in which dioxygen is implicated, i) used as H+/e- acceptor to oxidize a wide range of organic substrates with an exquisite selectivity, and ii) found as final product in the photosynthetic water oxidation. In this research program, we will take inspiration of the complex enzymatic machinery to develop low-weight metal complexes that can mimic some crucial aspects of these processes. Detailed study of physical and chemical properties of relevant metal/dioxygen derived intermediate species will led to rational design of new sustainable, efficient and selective catalytic systems with useful energetic and synthetic applications beyond the enzymatic activity.
- Synthesis, Characterization and Reactivity of High-Valent M(O2)/M(O) Species
- 1st Row Metal Systems For Enhanced Catalytic O2-Reduction/H2O-Oxidation
- New Bio-Inspired Catalysts for Practical Organic Synthesis
- Garcia-Bosch, I., Cowley, R. E.; Díaz, D. E.: Peterson, R. L.: Solomon, E. I.; and Karlin, K. D. “Substrate and Lewis Acid Coordination Promote O–O Bond Cleavage of an Unreactive L2CuII2(O22–) Species to Form L2CuIII2(O)2 Cores with Enhanced Oxidative Reactivity.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139, 3186–3195.
- Garcia-Bosch, I.; Siegler, M. A. "Copper-Catalyzed Oxidation of Alkanes with H2O2 under a Fenton-like Regime". Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2016, 55, 12873.
- Garcia-Bosch, I.; Adam, S. M.; Schaefer, A. W.; Sharma, S. K.; Peterson, R. L.; Solomon, E. I.; Karlin, K. D. 'A “Naked” FeIII-(O22–)-CuII Species Allows for Structural and Spectroscopic Tuning of Low-Spin Heme-Peroxo-Cu Complexes' J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 1032. DOI: 10.1021/ja5115198
- Garcia-Bosch, I.; Sharma, S. K.; and Karlin, K. D. “A Selective Stepwise Heme Oxygenase Model System: An Iron(IV)-Oxo Porphyrin π‑Cation Radical Leads to a Verdoheme-Type Compound via an Isoporphyrin Intermediate”. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2013, 135, 16248. DOI: 10.1021/ja405739m
- Cussó, O.; Garcia-Bosch, I.; Ribas, X.; Lloret-Fillol, J.; and Costas, M. “Asymmetric Epoxidation with H2O2 by Manipulating the Electronic Properties of Non-heme Iron Catalysts”. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 14871-14878.
- Welch Research Grant, 2016