||317 Fondren Science
|Department of Chemistry
|Southern Methodist University
|PO Box 750314
||dson at smu dot edu
|Dallas, TX 75275-0314
[Prof. Son's Home Page]
Education and Experience:
- Full Professor, Southern Methodist University, 2013-present
- Associate Professor, Southern Methodist University, 2002-2013
- Assistant Professor, Southern Methodist University, 1996-2002
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, Naval Research Laboratory, 1993-1995
- Ph.D. (Organic Chemistry) Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993
- B.S. (Chemistry) Andrews University, 1989
- SMU "M" Award, 2017
- Pittsburg State University Distinguished Polymer Lectureship
- Thomas A. Tunks Distinguished University Citizenship Award, 2015
- HOPE (Honoring our Professor's Excellence) Honoree, 2003, 2011, 3012, 2014
- Ruth Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor Award, 2011
Polymers, Click Chemistry, Organosilicon
The Son group focuses on polymer research.Polyarylenes are of interest due to their potential application in high temperature applications.We also synthesize degradable and non-degradable polymer networks for drug delivery applications.Much of our synthetic chemistry utilizes thiol-ene and related ‘click’ chemistry.
- Bassampour, Z. S., Budy, S. M. and Son, D. Y. “Degradable epoxy resins based on bisphenol A diglycidyl ether and silyl ether amine curing agents.” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2017, 134, 44620.
Chen, M.; Tian, Y.; Zhang, J.; Hong, R.; Chen, L.; Chen, S.; Son, D. Y. "Fabrication of crack-free photonic crystal films via coordination of microspheres terminated dendrimer and their performance on invisible patterned photonic displays", Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2016, 4, 8765-8771.
- Jennings, A.; Son, D. Y. "Synthesis and anion recognition of new preorganized colorimetric urea/thiourea compounds and their corresponding reference receptors", Tetrahedron 2015, 71, 3990-3999.
- Ware, T.; Jennings, A. R.; Bassampour, Z. S.; Simon, D.; Son, D. Y.; Voit, W. "Degradable, silyl ether thiol-ene networks for implantable electronics", RSC Advances 2014, 4, 39991-40002.
- General Chemistry (CHEM 1304)
- Organic Chemistry (CHEM 3371)
- Organic Chemistry (CHEM 3772)
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry (CHEM 5392)
- Practical Laboratory Methods (CHEM 6111)