Students holding a Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in Anthropology can apply for admission directly to the Office of Research and Graduate Studies, SMU, Dallas, TX 75275 or through email: email@example.com. In addition, applications can be made online at http://smu.edu/graduate/forms.asp or by contacting the Department of Anthropology, SMU, Dallas, TX 75275. Admission requirements and other information are contained in the current Dedman College Graduate Catalog. Only a limited number of students are accepted. Three letters of recommendation (using a form supplied by the Office of Research and Graduate Studies) are required of all applicants.
To be admitted to the Department, you should have:
1. A Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent from a foreign university), with either a major in Anthropology or at least 12 semester hours of junior & senior level anthropology courses;
2. At least a 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) overall grade point average (GPA);
3. Strong letters of recommendation from three professors familiar with your work and able to comment on your potential for becoming a professional anthropologist;
4. A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) combined score (verbal and quantitative) of at least 1100; and
5. A well-written "Statement of Purpose" outlining your reasons for wanting to join our Department as a learning place along your journey toward becoming a professional anthropologist.
Applications due January 15.
Please note the University offers supplementary grants for outstanding graduate applicants—in addition to other opportunities, please visit http://www.smu.edu/graduate/Funding.