SMU Students, Faculty, and Staff
Filming and photography in the Central University Libraries
(Fondren Library or Hamon Arts Library) are only permitted with
prior request. Permission may be granted to SMU students, faculty, and
staff who wish to film in the library to fulfill SMU-related
assignments. For non-SMU requests, see below.
Students, faculty, and staff filming in the Central University Libraries are subject to the following:
- Filming/photography may be performed only in the designated areas as approved.
- Student filming/photography must be sponsored by an SMU faculty member.
- Filming/photography is generally not permitted in:
- Designated quiet areas
- Individual study rooms, offices, or staff work areas
- Hamon Arts Library Hawn Exhibition Gallery
- Any space that displays copyrighted material
- Artificial lighting must be kept to a minimum
- Filming/photography must not disturb library users or staff members, or interfere with normal
- Photographers must provide their own subjects or obtain the consent of anyone who is photographed.
- Filming/photography should be during off-peak hours.
- Any exceptions must be approved by the Assistant Dean, Scholarly Resources & Research Services.
Instructions for SMU-related requests
Requesters must complete and submit the Film Request Form
to the Fondren Library Main Desk or Hamon Arts Library
Circulation Desk for approval at least 5 business days prior to the
filming date. Requesters must also submit a signed Release Form for every participant that will be filmed in the project in the library facility at the Fondren Main Desk or the Hamon Circulation Desk.
Requests for filming and photography in any CUL Library by or for organizations or individuals
outside SMU must be approved by the dean and director of the Central University Libraries or the dean's delegate.
Dean and Director
Central University Libraries
P.O. Box 750135
Dallas, TX 75275-0135
Telephone: (214) 768-2401