Gift Acceptance Policy
Public Service Policies
We regret that Fondren Library is unable to accept gifts of library materials at this time.
For donations to special collections, please see the guidelines below:
Animals in the Library
Animals are prohibited from entering Fondren Library with the exception of service animals and animals featured in programs sponsored by Fondren Library.
Cell Phone and Video Chat Calls
Cell phone and video chat conversations may be conducted only in designated areas of Fondren Library. All calls must be held in a normal tone of voice that respects the library as a quiet study environment. Library staff and security may use their discretion as to the disturbance of calls and may ask callers to move to a less disruptive area.
In Fondren, these calls may not be conducted in the Centennial Reading Room, Red Level 2 or Red Level 4.
Public Computer Use
Library computers are provided for the purpose of retrieving information in support of the research, instruction, and service mission of the University. Non-research activities such as game playing, gambling, and commercial ventures are not permitted on library computers.
SMU students, faculty, and staff have first priority use of all computers and resources. Library staff reserve the right to ask computer users for identification.
If other users are waiting, an individual's computer time may be limited. Library staff reserve the right to ask a computer user to surrender a computer or resource to another user with a higher priority.
Library staff are not responsible for computer failures or loss of data. Use computers at your own risk. Save to portable storage device. Saving files to the desktop may result in loss of data.
Library staff are available to assist users with library research resources (e.g., databases provided by the libraries) but not with other programs (e.g., Microsoft Word).
Southern Methodist University's Computing and Communications Policy 12.3 (found within section 12.0 Intellectual Policy / Information Technology in the University Policy Manual) governs the use of all computers and networks of the University. (Available only to SMU Students, Faculty, and Staff; Login required).
Any attempt to circumvent or disable security arrangements on any computer in the State of Texas is a misdemeanor and will be treated accordingly, including a report to the SMU Department of Public Safety.
Visitors who violate this policy may be asked to leave and/or receive a criminal trespass citation from SMU Police. SMU computer users who violate this policy will be referred to SMU Police and further action may be taken.
Although Fondren Library makes every attempt to protect library users' privacy, all university electronic information is the property of SMU, unless otherwise stated in a contractual agreement or other applicable policy (i.e. University Policy 12.3, "Intellectual Property") and may be subject to review by authorized officials.
Fondren Library expects all visitors, both SMU affiliates and guests, to act responsibly and respectfully. This includes:
- adhering to University Policy 13.10 which prohibits “unauthorized canvassing, peddling, and/or solicitation.”
- avoiding interfering with, threatening or harassing library staff or other library users, including engaging patrons in unwelcome conversations about religion, politics, or other issues.
- maintaining a quiet research and study environment in areas designed for quiet study. Please see the library's Cell Phone Policy.
- preserving accessibility to library materials by keeping library materials and property clean, unmarked, and fully intact.
- maintaining library computer systems by refraining from unauthorized accessing and altering of any library computer system, network computer program.
- following posted guidelines on the use of equipment and electronic resources, and all SMU computer use policies.
- complying with U.S. copyright laws and/or SMU's policies on copyright
- maintaining a clean environment by not smoking and by disposing of trash appropriately. Please see the library's Food and Drink Policy.
- using only authorized areas of the library.
- following directions for exiting the building or where to go in case of emergency.
- being responsible for their personal property.
Filming and Photography in Fondren Library
SMU Students, Faculty, and Staff
Filming and photography in Fondren Library is only permitted with prior request. Permission may be granted to SMU students, faculty, and staff who wish to film in the library to fulfill SMU-related assignments. For non-SMU requests, see below.
Students, faculty, and staff filming in Fondren Library are subject to the following:
- Filming/photography may be performed only in the designated areas as approved.
- Student filming/photography must be sponsored by an SMU faculty member.
- Artificial lighting must be kept to a minimum
- Filming/photography must not disturb library users or staff members, or interfere with normal library operations
- Photographers must provide their own subjects or obtain the consent of anyone who is photographed.
- Filming/photography should be during off-peak hours.
- Any exceptions must be approved by the Director of Fondren Library.
Instructions for SMU-related requests
Requesters must complete and submit the Film Request Form to the Fondren Library Main Desk for approval at least 5 business days prior to the filming date. Requesters must also submit a signed Release Form for every participant that will be filmed in the project in the library facility at the Fondren Main Desk. .
Requests for filming and photography in Fondren Library by or for organizations or individuals outside SMU must be approved by the Dean of SMU Libraries or the dean's delegate.
P.O. Box 750135
Dallas, TX 75275-0135
Telephone: (214) 768-2401
Food and Drink
To provide a comfortable, inviting atmosphere for all library users, Fondren Library has adopted the following policy regarding the consumption of food and drink by library users. These rules assume that all patrons will take responsibility for disposing of their own trash in receptacles provided, cleaning up minor food and drink spills, and reporting large spills to library staff for immediate cleanup.
- The consumption of food and beverages is allowed throughout the library except where prohibited by this policy.
- Food and drink are prohibited in DeGolyer Library.
- Anyone responsible for damaging computer and/or media equipment is liable for the full cost of repairs or replacement of the equipment.
- Avoid foods that are messy, or otherwise disruptive to other patrons. You may consume these foods in the student lounge.
Fondren Library will refer all requests for student fund raising activities to the Director of Student Activities & Multicultural Student Affairs. No student fund raising activities will take place in the library.
For Southern Methodist University student fund raising policies and procedures, please visit SMU's Student Code of Conduct, Section 3.24a.
Lost & Found
Lost items found inside Fondren Library and turned in to staff will be stored at the Fondren Library Main Desk. Valuable items are held for 7 days and then turned over to the SMU Police department or mailed to the owner/appropriate administrative department, if feasible. All other items are held for 30 days and then donated or discarded. For further information, please contact the Main Desk in-person or online.
For all other items lost on campus, please check with the building where you may have lost the item, or contact the SMU Police Department at 214-768-3388. They have the campus-wide Lost and Found.
Posting on Bulletin Boards
Postings should go on bulletin boards only. Fondren Library staff reserve the right to remove postings.
- Space is limited and not guaranteed. Priority is given to postings that publicize specific SMU-sponsored events.
- Postings will be removed after the event, after being posted for 2 weeks, or at the discretion of our staff.
- Items posted anywhere other than designated bulletin boards (e.g. walls or doors) will be removed.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Southern Methodist University's Fondren Library actively protects the privacy and confidentiality of library patrons and their use of resources and services. Individuals who use library services that require personally identifiable information are entitled to view their information. The library will explain the process of accessing or updating your information so that all personally identifiable information is accurate and up-to-date. Since some of the information we use is provided by other campus offices (e.g. Registrar's Office or Human Resources), you may need to update your information elsewhere if it is not correct.
Quiet Study Areas in Fondren Library
In order to ensure a pleasant and productive environment for study and research for all users, the Library has designated Quiet Study and Group Study areas. Signage indicating these designations is posted on each floor. If individuals or groups are conducting conversations or otherwise disturbing others in these areas, please notify a library staff member.
- Speak quietly and only when necessary.
- Keep conversations brief.
- No cell phone use.
Quiet areas in Fondren
- Fondren Library Red 4th Floor
- Fondren Library Red 2nd Floor
- Fondren Library Blue 2nd Floor
- Fondren Library, Centennial Reading Room
- Quiet discussion encouraged.
- Cell phone use OK in study rooms, lobby, and stairwells.
Group Study in Fondren
- Prothro Learning Commons
- Fondren Library Lobby 2nd Floor
- Fondren Library Starbucks
- Study Rooms
All forms of smoking, including tobacco products and e-cigarettes are prohibited.
Study Room Policies
Fondren Library Group Study Room Policies
- Group study rooms are available for use by SMU students, staff, and faculty.
- Reservations should be made online at smu.edu/fondrenrooms.
- The maximum reservation length is 3 hours and 6 hours total per day.
- Room reservation may be made up to 14 days in advance.
- All study rooms are subject to library hours and policies.
Fondren Library Individual Long-Term Study Room Policies
- Fondren Library has 20 individual long-term study rooms available for SMU graduate and doctoral students. Room assignments are handled in the library office, Fondren Library Red, 300.
- Rooms are assigned for one academic year. Renewals may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
- Rooms are assigned on a first-come first-served basis to SMU graduate and doctoral students.
- Only library materials that are checked out may be left in the study rooms. Non-circulating materials should be returned to the stacks after use.
- Library staff will routinely monitor rooms and remove materials that are not checked out, non-circulating, missing, or overdue.
- The library assumes no responsibility for personal items left in the rooms.
- Electrical appliances are not allowed in the rooms.
- Violation of study room policies may result in the loss of the room.
- All study rooms are subject to library hours and policies.
Events at Fondren Library
Groups affiliated with SMU may reserve a table in the Collaborative Commons (Starbucks Area) to promote events or their group/department.
- Only tabling is allowed and no other types of events may be held in this space.
- No items or services may be sold inside the library.
- Only one group is allowed to table per day and time.
- Only two chairs and a table will be provided by the library, groups must bring and remove all other materials they need.
Use of the Texana Room is restricted to SMU faculty members and staff.
- The Texana Room must be booked through Outlook or by contacting Cindy Ruppi, email@example.com.
- The room can only be booked for events during library hours when library staff are available, generally, Monday-Friday, 8am – 6pm.
- Please review the Texana Room Use Agreement and submit the completed form to Cindy Ruppi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please do not leave personal belongings unattended. The library is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of personal property. Personal belongings may not be used to hold a study, carrel, or computer. The library reserves the right to remove unattended belongings to lost and found, located at the Main Desk.
back to top