Program fast facts
- Traditional Path (one night per week)
- Pacesetter Path (two nights per week)
- Intensive 11-month Cohort Program
||SMU Dallas campus
|NEXT ENTRY DATE
||Apr. 3, 2017 (Traditional or Pacesetter Path)
||6 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. (M/W)
|Priority Rate (by Mar. 20): $775 per course
Standard Rate: $875 per course
Pacesetter Rate: $1,350 (call to register)
Financial planning courses are based on the most recent textbook editions offered by the publishers, and students should purchase the most recent editions unless otherwise listed below. Required books for each course are listed in the chart below and are not available at the SMU Bookstore. The cost of each book is approximately $80-$160.
To ensure delivery of texts before classes begin, SMU students are strongly encouraged to order their textbooks a minimum of 7 business days in advance of the start of each course. Please purchase the most current edition of all textbooks. If you have any questions about which edition, please contact the CAPE office.
Click here for an order form
Click here to order
|Fundamentals of Financial Planning (FP101)
||Fundamentals of Financial Planning (Required)
Understanding Your Financial Calculator (Optional)
|Insurance and Risk Management (FP 102)
||Insurance Planning (Required)
|Investments (FP 103)
||Investment Planning: Concepts and Strategies Required)
8th edition – HS328-8
|Retirement Planning and Employee Benefits (FP 104)
||Retirement Planning and Employee Benefits (Required)
|Tax Planning (FP 105)
||Income Tax Planning (Required)
|Estate Planning (FP 106)
||HS330 — Fundamentals of Estate Planning (Required)
|Financial Planning Strategies and Case Studies (FP 107)
||Cases in Financial Planning: Analysis and Presentation (Required)
The Dalton Review® for the CFP® Exam
The Dalton Review partners with SMU to offer preparation for the CFP Exam. The Dalton Review consists of three phases, all-inclusive in the enrollment fee:
1. Pre-study program
2. The Dalton Review classes
3. Post-study program key points that add up to passing the CFP exam, including:
Enroll in the Dalton Review
- Thirty-six hours of classroom review instruction
- Live review classes are held on-campus at SMU
- Live online, instructor-led reviews
- Students may attend both the traditional classroom and Live Online reviews at no additional cost
- Outstanding faculty
- Pass rates that are consistently 70-80% on the CFP exam
- Exam Readiness Quiz provides a predicted probability of passing the CFP exam
- Take the Dalton Review twice before taking the CFP exam at no additional cost
- Free repeats if you are unsuccessful on the exam
All SMU CFP students are eligible to receive a $50 discount when enrolling in The Dalton Review.
Contact Dalton Education at 866.828.1765 to receive the discount code.
THE CERTIFICATION TRADEMARK ABOVE IS OWNED BY CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER BOARD OF STANDARDS, INC. IN THE UNITED STATES AND IS AWARDED TO INDIVIDUALS WHO SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE CFP BOARD’S INITIAL AND ONGOING CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS.
- Choose a starting date. Students may join the SMU Program in April or September on the main campus in Dallas, or in January at SMU-in-Plano.
- Choose a track. Students may elect to take one course per quarter, on the Traditional Path, or take 2 courses per quarter on the Pacesetter Path (at a discounted rate). Students in the SMU CPFP in Plano program move through the program one course at at time, at an accelerated pace; each of the seven courses in the program are taught in 6-week modules. For an overview of the course paths, click here.
- Enroll in an Information Session. New online information sessions coming soon! These on-demand sessions are packed with information about the SMU Program and the CFP® certification process. Join our mailing list to be notified when the new session is available.
- Meet program instructors, view prerequisites and course fees.
- Complete the program application. Click here to complete the SMU program application process.
- Register for class. After the application has been approved, students may enroll online, by phone, or by fax. Traditional Path and Plano students begin the program with course 101; Pacesetter Path students begin with courses 101 and 103.
Are you a current student? If you have questions as you progress through the Financial Planning Certificate Program, please call the office at 214.768.2273.
Smart Option Loans
Loans for the Plano cohort are available
from Sallie Mae.