Program fast facts
- Traditional Path (one night per week)
- Pacesetter Path (two nights per week)
- Intensive 11-month cohort program
||Dallas Campus or SMU-in-Plano
|NEXT ENTRY DATE
||September 21, 2015 (Traditional or Pacesetter - Dallas)
CPFP Courses are based on the most recent textbook editions offered by the publishers, and students should purchase the most recent editions unless otherwise listed below. Required books for each course are listed in the chart below and are not available at the SMU Bookstore.
To ensure delivery of texts before classes begin, SMU students are strongly encouraged to order their textbooks a minimum of 7 business days in advance of the start of each course.
Click here for an order form
or call 610.526.1350
|Fundamentals of Financial Planning (FP101)
||HS300 — Financial Planning: Process and Environment(Required)
Understanding Your Financial Calculator (Optional)
|Insurance and Risk Management (FP 102)
||HS311 — Fundamentals of Insurance (Required)
|Investments (FP 103)
||HS328 — Fundamentals of Investments for Financial Planning(Required)
|Retirement Planning and EmployeeBenefits (FP 104)
||HS326 — Planning for Retirement Needs (Required)
||Littell, Tacchino, &Schneider/American College
|Tax Planning (FP 105)
||Fundamentals of Income Taxation (Required)
|Estate Planning (FP 106)
||HS330 — Fundamentals of Estate Planning (Required)
|Financial Planning Strategies and CaseStudies (FP 107)
||The Comprehensive Financial Planning Bundle: The CaseApproach and The Process
Ruth H. Lytton, PhD, John E. Grable, PhD, CFP®, RFC, Derek D.Klock, MBA
Product #: 2320002K
Format: Paperback, 8 1/2" x 11", 861 pages and 494 pages,respectively
Pub. Date: September 2012
Click here to order.
The Dalton Review® for the CFP® Exam
The Dalton Review partners with SMU to offer preparation for the CFP Exam. The Dalton Review consists of three phases, all-inclusive in the enrollment fee:
1. Pre-study program
2. The Dalton Review classes
3. Post-study program key points that add up to passing the CFP exam, including:
Enroll in the Dalton Review
- Thirty-six hours of classroom review instruction:
- Live review classes are held on-campus at Northwestern University
- Live online, instructor led reviews
- Students may attend both the traditional classroom and Live Online reviews at no additional cost
- Outstanding faculty
- Pass rates are consistently 70-80% on the CFP exam
- Exam Readiness Quiz provides a predicted probability of passing the CFP exam
- Take the Dalton Review twice before taking the CFP exam at no additional cost
- Free repeats if you are unsuccessful on the exam
All SMU CFP students are eligible to receive a $50 discount when enrolling in The Dalton Review.
Contact Dalton Education at 866.828.1765 to receive the discount code.
THE CERTIFICATION TRADEMARK ABOVE IS OWNED BY CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER BOARD OF STANDARDS, INC. IN THE UNITED STATES AND IS AWARDED TO INDIVIDUALS WHO SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE CFP BOARD’S INITIAL AND ONGOING CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS.
- Choose a starting date. Students may join the SMU Program in April or September on the main campus in Dallas, or in January at SMU-in-Plano.
- Choose a track. Students may elect to take one course per quarter, on the Traditional Path, or take 2 courses per quarter on the Pacesetter Path (at a discounted rate). Students in the SMU CPFP in Plano program move through the program one course at at time, at an accelerated pace; each of the seven courses in the program are taught in 6-week modules. For an overview of the course paths, click here.
- Enroll in an Information Session. New online information sessions coming soon! These on-demand sessions are packed with information about the SMU Program and the CFP® certification process. Join our mailing list to be notified when the new session is available.
- Meet program instructors, view prerequisites and course fees.
- Complete the program application. Click here to complete the SMU program application process.
- Register for class. After the application has been approved, students may enroll online, by phone, or by fax. Traditional Path and Plano students begin the program with course 101; Pacesetter Path students begin with courses 101 and 103.
Are you a current student? If you have questions as you progress through the Financial Planning Certificate Program, please call the office at 214.768.2273.
Smart Option Loans
Loans for the Plano cohort are available
from Sallie Mae.