Program fast facts
- Traditional Path (one night per week)
- Pacesetter Path (two nights per week)
- Intensive 11-month cohort program
||Dallas Campus or SMU-in-Plano
|NEXT ENTRY DATE
||Plano: Jan. 19 – Dec. 13, 2016 (Intensive Program)
Main Campus: Apr. 4, 2015 (Traditional or Pacesetter)
||Plano: 6 - 9:30 p.m. (T) and select Saturdays (approximately one per month)
Main Campus: 6 - 9:30 p.m. (M) or (M/W)
|Priority Rate (before Jan. 5, 2016): $4,295
Standard Rate: $4,545
"I PASSED the November 2007 CFP Exam. I would like to thank the entire SMU CPFP staff for their large role played in this process. During my time in the SMU CPFP program, I was taught a solid, fundamental core of knowledge in financial planning. It was from this bedrock of knowledge that, with the additional help of my Kaplan Live Review course, I gleaned those areas of concentration for the CFP Exam and upon it that I leaned for those questions on topics outside those specific areas. You can be certain that, in the future, I will recommend the SMU CPFP to any friends or colleagues that desire, as did I, to pursue a first rate institution at which to meet the educational requirements for their CFP certification!"
— David Wagner, 2007 SMU CPFP graduate
receive a special discount on Kaplan Schweser Live and Virtual Review Courses.
This special discount, reserved just for SMU students, is the lowest
enrollment fee available for the esteemed Kaplan Schweser Review — guaranteed.
As SMU students purchase Kaplan Schweser Volumes 1-7 for use in the SMU CPFP program, they will not be required to purchase any
additional texts for the Kaplan Schweser Review. In addition, should SMU
students’ Kaplan Schweser Volumes 1-7 be outdated by the time they enroll
in the Kaplan Schweser Review, students may exchange their texts for updated
versions free of charge.
- Choose a starting date. Students may join the SMU Program in April or September on the main campus in Dallas, or in January at SMU-in-Plano.
- Choose a track. Students may elect to take one course per quarter, on the Traditional Path, or take 2 courses per quarter on the Pacesetter Path (at a discounted rate). Students in the SMU CPFP in Plano program move through the program one course at at time, at an accelerated pace; each of the seven courses in the program are taught in 6-week modules. For an overview of the course paths, click here.
- Enroll in an Information Session. New online information sessions coming soon! These on-demand sessions are packed with information about the SMU Program and the CFP® certification process. Join our mailing list to be notified when the new session is available.
- Meet program instructors, view prerequisites and course fees.
- Complete the program application. Click here to complete the SMU program application process.
- Register for class. After the application has been approved, students may enroll online, by phone, or by fax. Traditional Path and Plano students begin the program with course 101; Pacesetter Path students begin with courses 101 and 103.
Are you a current student? If you have questions as you progress through the Financial Planning Certificate Program, please call the office at 214.768.2273.
Smart Option Loans
Loans for the Plano cohort are available
from Sallie Mae.