We are pleased to announce the SMU NetID, a single sign on solution that will allow SMU CAPE students to use the same username (NetID) and password across CAPE systems like your student portal and CAPE Canvas.
Starting December 1, 2021, all new SMU CAPE student accounts will automatically be assigned an SMU NetID, which is an auto-generated username based on your first and last initials plus a random 4-digit number (ex. John Smith's SMU NetID: js1145).
If your account was created prior to December 1, 2021, you will need to transition your account to use an SMU NetID. This will allow you to log in to your student portal and CAPE Canvas using the same username (NetID) and password. See the transition instructions below.
Transition your existing CAPE student account
It's easy to transition your existing CAPE student account to the new SMU NetID, please follow the steps below to get started:
- Navigate to the CAPE Student Portal login page: https://go.smu.edu/student-portal
- Log in using your existing student user name and password. (if you do not remember your username and password, use the forgot username/password links shown below.)
- Once logged in, click "My Profile" in the student portal menu on the left (shown below)
- Check your student profile and update any out-of-date information. Once you are done, click the "Transition to SMU NetID" Button (shown below)
- Next, you will receive an e-mail from email@example.com with an invite link to validate your e-mail address, click the invite to set your password and complete your transition to your SMU NetID. If you do not see the message in your inbox, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER
Once your password is set, you will receive a second e-mail containing your SMU NetID. It is very important that you remember your SMU NetID as this will be used to access your student portal and Canvas going forward.
- Return to the CAPE Student Portal login page: https://go.smu.edu/student-portal and log in using your new SMU NetID (shown below)
- Log in to your Student Portal with your new SMU NetID and the password you just set (If you need to reset your password again, click the Forgot Password link. See below)
- If you are enrolled in a course that uses Canvas, you will be able to log in to Canvas using your SMU NetID 30 minutes after transitioning your account by visiting our Canvas login page and clicking "Login with NetID" (See below)
If you experience any issues or need assistance with transitioning your account, please reach out and one of our team members and we will be happy to assist. You can contact us by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at 214-768-2273.
Reset your SMU NetID Password
To reset your SMU NetID password, visit the password reset page and enter your e-mail address, NetID or CAPE Student Number (X-Number) to request a password reset link. (see below)
If you experience any issues or need assistance with resetting your password, please reach out and one of our team members will be happy to assist. You can contact us by e-mailing us at email@example.com or calling us at 214-768-2273.
Recovering your NetID
When your account is created or transitioned to an SMU NetID an e-mail containing your SMU NetID was sent to you.
If you forgot your NetID and need to look it up, you can request an email containing your NetID using our NetID recovery tool.
If you are experincing issues with logging in, please reach out and one of our team members and we will be happy to assist. You can contact us by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at 214-768-2273