Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I request assistance with a facilities issue?

A. To report non-urgent issues please submit a work request with a detailed description of the work being requested, including building, suite, room number and contact information. To report urgent items, such as water damage issues, please contact the Facilities Support Center office by phone at 214-768-7000

Q. What happens to my work request after I submit it?

A. The request is converted into a work order and is assigned to a facilities technician. An email confirmation of the work order is sent to the original requester. Work orders are addressed and completed in order of priority (nature of issue) and in the order received. Some requests may require approvals, estimates, or other actions before a work order is fulfilled; these requests are referred to the appropriate facilities management staff for review.

Q. Who do I contact for after-hours facilities issues?

A. The Facilities Support Center work order phone line of 214-768-7000 has 24 hour phone coverage. Facilities staff monitors this line during normal weekday business hours of 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, and by an answering service at all other times. Emergencies threatening life or property should be reported immediately to the SMU Police at 214-768-3333.

Q. How do I check the status of a work order?

A. The status of a work order may be checked by clicking on the Work Order Search button located on the main facilities webpage.

Q. Who do I contact if it is too hot or too cold in my space?

A. Submit a Hot/Cold Request by clicking on the Hot/Cold Request button on our main facilities page. Please be as detailed as possible and fill in all information in case the technician needs to reach out to you. Every effort will be made to adjust the climate in your space to make you more comfortable.

Q. Who do I call if I’m experiencing a custodial or housekeeping issue?

A. Our janitorial service is provided through an outside contractor and managed by our maintenance office. If you notice or experience any issues with this service please submit a Work Order Request by clicking on the Work Order Request button on or main facilities page or by calling 214-768-7000. Please contact our office via phone to report any urgent issues.

Q. How do I request a key?

A. Keys and access cards for SMU spaces may be requested by authorized individuals only. Please submit a Key Request form via the Key Request button on our main Facilities webpage.