Give Now


Insurance Programs

TULIP (Tenant Users' Liability Insurance)

SMU requires evidence of insurance for all third-party vendors and contractors that want to operate an event on campus.

The third-party is responsible for obtaining evidence of insurance (i.e. a Certificate of Insurance) and presenting it to the Office of Risk Management at least (3) days prior to the event taking place. If the third-party vendor does not maintain insurance regularly, they can procure a Tenant User Liability Insurance Program (TULIP) to meet SMU's insurance requirements.

A TULIP policy may be purchased for short-term, and even single-day events. Proof of insurance is sent directly to ORM once purchased. Below are step-by-step instructions to purchase this insurance.

In order for the university to recognize the event, the following list of insurance policy conditions must be met on the Certificate of Insurance:

  1. Go to the following web address:
  2. Click on the “Quick Quote” tab at the top of the page, or the “Get a Quote” link on the side of the page.
  3. Select the location of the event (as you select items, additional drop-down menus will appear):
    1. Texas or New Mexico
    2. Institution: Southern Methodist University
    3. Venue: SMU location (ex: SMU-in-Plano, SMU-in-Taos, McFarlin Auditorium, etc.)
  4. Select the date you need the coverage for (the date(s) of your event) and input the number of people you expect to be in attendance.
  5. Select the type of the event for which you are utilizing SMU space.
  6. If you are serving alcohol or have vendors or performers as part of this meeting, you may need additional coverage. 
  7. Review quote. ORM may review this upon request.
  8. Purchase insurance. Evidence of insurance will be sent directly to ORM upon purchase.


All special events are not organized in the same way, nor do they carry the same exposure. This can lead to confusion about who needs to insure what. As a rule of thumb, whenever the group is hiring outside people for an event, signing contracts, and charging for the event, it will likely need liability insurance to cover the event. Many outside groups carry their own insurance. Generally, if another party (i.e., a promoter) is responsible for the contracts and promotions, it carries its own liability limits. But because these distinctions can be confusing, liability coverage should be clarified in the early planning stages of the event. (Risk Management can advise you on this.)