Give Now

Auto Insurance

Insurance Programs

Auto Insurance

Incident Reporting  SMU ORM has a new online reporting system for SMU-controlled incidents. Please use the link below to report. Report SMU Auto Incident

Automobile Liability and Collision Coverage includes damage to a University Controlled vehicle (Collision), damage to the other car(s), medical claims and/or death claims (Liability). Coverage has a $1000 deductible which is the responsibility of the student organization or department which controls the vehicle.
University Controlled Vehicles -- (owned, leased, courtesy and rental vehicles) must be used with the proper permission of the department responsible for the vehicle.

Rental Vehicles

Rental car reservations should be booked using the company’s preferred provider through Concur. The University maintains a Comprehensive Automobile Liability Insurance Policy to cover bodily injury and property damage liabilities arising out of the use of rented vehicles being driven on behalf of SMU. Therefore, employees traveling on University-related business must decline any insurance coverage offered by the rental car company except in foreign countries where travelers must always accept additional rental car insurance. The University will not reimburse the costs of collision damage insurance unnecessarily acquired from rental companies. When renting a vehicle, the traveler must not accept the fuel option and are required to refuel rental cars per each rental locations’ refill requirements prior to returning the car in order to minimize cost.

Personal Vehicles

Authorized travelers may use their own personal vehicles for local and non-local business travel. The University will reimburse documented business mileage at the rate approved by the Internal Revenue Service.  The University accepts no responsibility for collision damage to a vehicle owned and operated by an employee while driving on University business. This becomes the sole responsibility of the employee and the employee's insurance carrier in the event of an accident.

Sub-Compact Utility Vehicles (SCUVs) or Golf Carts

Procedure for SMU authorization of owned, leased or borrowed golf carts.

  1. When purchasing a golf cart, club car or any sub-compact utility vehicle (SCUV), the responsible party should first contact SMU Purchasing for guidance.
  2. Inspect the cart.  The Golf Cart Inspection Checklist must be completed and signed by the RESPONSIBLE PARTY and submitted to Risk Management prior to registration.
  3. Golf Cart Registration is facilitated through SMU Parking Services.  The permit they provide upon registration must be properly applied to the cart.  (Note:  Unlike vehicle permits, this permit does not authorize a parking space. However, Parking Services will assist to offer guidance for acceptable parking locations.)
  4. Finally, drivers of golf carts must complete Golf Cart Training, a one-hour training class hosted by Risk Management that reviews campus procedures for operating, maintaining and parking a SCUV on the SMU campus.

To register on line, log on to: Golf Cart Registration