Give Now

Office of Risk Management

Environmental Health & Safety

University Vehicles

SMU Policy 8.8, Fleet Safety, applies to all employees, prospective employees, and students who operate, or will operate, vehicles owned, leased, or loaned to the University (thus, University Vehicles), which are covered by University insurance.  This includes vehicles that are rented for University business.

If you have been asked to drive a University Vehicle in the scope of business for SMU, you will first need to be authorized through the Office of Risk Management. This authorization involves two components: Qualification and Training.

Driver Qualifications

All drivers of SMU University Vehicles must meet the following minimum qualifications:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Hold a valid and current U.S. driver's license
  • Complete Engaged Driving Training
  • Have a CLEAR Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report (required annually)
  • Report all accidents within 24 hours to Risk Management


Drivers must successfully complete Engaged Driving, a 1-hour training class hosted by the Office of Risk Management.  This training is required every 3 years.  You can find a training calendar and registration form here.

Notice: The Office of Risk Management strongly discourages the use of 15-passenger vans for SMU business, due to the high risk for rollovers. Instead, please consider using a 12-passenger van or multiple smaller vehicles.