If you have been asked to drive a University Vehicle in the scope of business for SMU, you will first need to be authorized through the Office of Risk Management.
This authorization involves two components: Qualification and Training.
All drivers of SMU University Vehicles must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Hold a valid and current U.S. driver's license
- Complete Engaged Driving Training
- Have a CLEAR Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report (required annually)
- Report all accidents within 24 hours to Risk Management
Drivers must successfully complete Engaged Driving, a 1-hour
training class hosted by the Office of Risk Management. This training is required every 3 years. You can find a training calendar and registration form here.
The Office of Risk Management strongly discourages the use of 15-passenger vans for SMU business, due to the high risk for rollovers. Instead, please
consider using a 12-passenger van or multiple smaller vehicles.