Means that conditions are favorable for tornadoes to form. Be alert to weather conditions and announcements.
- Monitor weather reports/conditions
- Be prepared to seek shelter
- Are indicated by radar or trained spotters. The National Weather Service issues tornado warnings and the City of University Park activates the outdoor sirens. TAKE SHELTER!
- Move to Tornado Shelter Area(s)
- Continue to monitor weather reports/conditions via mobile device, weather radio, etc.
- Continue to shelter until an All Clear is issued by the University
- Report any damage you observe to the Facilities Support Center at 214-768-7000
Supervisory personnel and course instructors are responsible for identifying and escorting individuals with mobility impairments or physical disabilities located in their offices/facilities, or classrooms to safety in the event of a tornado warning.
Elevators may be used to transport individuals with mobility impairments or physical disabilities and their escorts to a safer location. Visually impaired and hearing impaired individuals may be escorted down the stairs, but may require assistance in moving in crowded staircases and in finding a safer location.
In the event of a power failure, individuals who are unable to use the stairs and their escorts should move to an interior location without windows and call SMU PD at 214-768-3333, who will notify the appropriate emergency personnel with the location.