Listen to a battery-powered radio for emergency information. Evacuate as instructed by emergency personnel.
- Climb to higher ground and stay there.
- Avoid walking through any floodwaters. If moving swiftly, even water 6 inched deep can sweep you off your feet.
If in a car
- If coming up to a flooded area, turn around and go another way.
- If the car stalls, abandon it immediately and climb to higher ground. Many deaths have resulted from attempts to move stalled vehicles.
- Do not return to a flooded area until authorities indicate it is safe to do so.
- Stay out of buildings if floodwaters remain around the building.
- Use extreme caution when otherwise entering buildings. Watch for loose plaster and ceilings that could fall.
- Be alert for fire hazards, such as broken or leaking gas lines, flooded electrical circuits, submerged appliances, and flammable or explosive materials.