Travel Frequently Asked Questions
Here are just some of our most commonly asked questions.
The first time you log in you must use a computer. At this time, you can download and set up a Concur mobile app. Concur is available via the Web and through mobile applications. Concur’s mobile app is linked within the Concur tool, allowing travelers to manage itineraries and expense transactions from their iPhone, iPad, Blackberry or Android. The application is free and there are no transaction fees. Key features include:
• Managing of travel itineraries
• Changing air travel date or time
• Adding or changing reservations for hotels or rental cars
• Arranging for taxis or dining reservations
• Capturing out-of-pocket expenses
• Photographing and uploading receipts
To log in to the Concur for mobile app, simply tap on "Company Code Sign In" after downloading the Concur for Mobile app and enter your company code. Then follow the instructions per your company procedure for single sign on.
Company Code: XHAECA
It is the electronic version of your receipt – delivered straight from the supplier – that uploads easily into your expense report. Please check your Concur profile to ensure that you have enabled e-receipts.
The receipt store (Available Receipts link) is where you can store receipts by uploading them into one place. You may then attach the receipt to your expense report by using this option.
An exception occurs if the budgetary authority or org owner of the org(s) charged is the same as the person submitting the travel request/expense, since a user cannot approve their own expenses. Therefore, the request/expense will then route to the person’s supervisor as defined in the HR system. For example:
John Smith submits a travel request charging an org where Jane Doe is listed as the owner. Even though she is not John’s supervisor, Jane is the sole approver of this travel request since she is the listed owner of the org.
John Smith submits a travel expense reimbursement charging an org where he is listed as the owner. As the owner of the org John is the approver of the expense. However, since he cannot approve his own expenses, the report bypasses John and routes to his supervisor Fred Johnson for approval.
All travel must be approved by either the budgetary authority or official designee. The Principal Investigator (PI) is the budgetary authority for grant/contract funds (“G” Projects) and, for compliance reasons, Grant & Contract Accounting will provide an additional review and approval. Faculty and staff are responsible and accountable for the appropriateness and accuracy of expenses they submit. An expense report approver should hold a higher position than the traveler holds and/or be an appropriate approver for the center being charged. Expense reports other than those for "G" Projects require one approval require one approval. However, all reports are subject to additional review and audit, both internal and external, for compliance with SMU policy, federal grant requirements and IRS regulations.
All employee travel forms, including the Travel Report have been discontinued. Travelers must still obtain the proper authorization before booking travel. This is done by creating and submitting a Travel Request in Concur.
The approver(s) on a Travel Request is the budget authority or expense owner of the orgs that are in the Travel Request. The Request will be routed and approved electronically by the budget authority/expense owner(s).
You can make all your reservations at the same time in the Concur system on the “Travel” tab or you can go back and add reservations at any time.
- "Soft" policy checks help users stay within guidelines when booking.
- Intuitive user interface (tool) and high-quality in-person assistance (agency) enhance booking experience.
- Automated expense reporting, featuring state-of-the-art functionality (e.g., receipts upload via mobile device).
Duty of Care:
- Enhanced ability to identify and assist travelers in the event of an emergency.
- Central data repository to better inform management and central travel office.
- Increased negotiating power with travel vendors (airlines, hotels, rental car companies, etc.) as all bookings are captured and recognized as SMU spend by vendors.
- Eliminate layers of approvals and paperwork.
- Greatly reduce reimbursement time for travel expenses.
- SMU’s new travel agency partner is Christopherson Business Travel (CBT) for booking airfare, hotel, and car reservations.
- CBT will work in conjunction with Concur, our online travel booking and expense reporting system to make booking, receipt collection, and expense reporting faster and easier.
- Aer Lingus
- Air Canada
- Virgin Blue
- National Alamo
- Choice Hotels
- Intercontinental Hotel Group