Part-Time Nurse or PRN/Retired Nurse/Advanced Nursing Student
Social and Clinical Neuroscience Lab in the Department of Psychology
Hourly rate: $28 per hour (and up to $30 per hour with commensurate experience).
The SMU Department of Psychology is seeking a temporary, part-time nurse (or PRN/Retired Nurse/Advanced Nursing Student) to assist in a three-hour study occurring Monday-Friday from 2:00-5:00pm (and occasionally 3:00-6:00pm).
This part-time position will average approximately 9-15 hours per week depending on the flow of study recruitment. This position is not benefit-eligible.
The Social and Clinical Neuroscience lab (PI: Ben Tabak, Ph.D.) examines neurobiological and psychological factors that contribute to social functioning and mental health. Additional detail about the lab’s research can be found here: www.smu-scn.com
- Work with undergraduate study team members throughout the study.
- Discuss blood draw procedure with participant and answer any questions.
- Before setting IV, assemble equipment such as tourniquet, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol, locate accessible vein, apply tourniquet, swab puncture area with antiseptic and insert IV
- Set IV catheter in participant’s non-dominant arm for the purposes of repeated blood draws over time.
- Collect baseline blood draw in 8ml vacutainer, 30 minutes later begin a series of 5 blood draws (12mls per time point) that occur several minutes apart before and after a laboratory task.
- Withdraw IV, apply bandage to draw site.
- Properly dispose of contaminated supplies in sharps container.
- If interested, opportunity to spin blood in centrifuge to separate plasma and aliquot the separated plasma into microtubes to store in -86 C freezer.
Qualifications – Education and Experience:
Registered Nurse (RN) preferred. Also interested in a retired nurse with a high degree of skill in setting intravenous IVs, or advanced nursing student who has already Med/Surg rotation with IV experience and skill.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must have strong interpersonal skills.
Must be attentive to details and accuracy.
Candidate must comply with HIPAA compliance regulations and IRB policies.
Must ensure confidentiality of participant personal and medical information.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Reach above shoulders
For immediate consideration, please email Ben Tabak, PhD. at email@example.com
Southern Methodist University (SMU) will not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, education activity, or admissions on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. SMU's commitment to equal opportunity includes nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX1 Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, including the prohibition of sex discrimination under Title IX. The Executive Director/Title IX Coordinator may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may also be directed to the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education.