Submissions will be accepted until December 1, 2021.
The competition is open to all bookbinders who are American citizens, living either in the U.S. or abroad.
Competition book details
Five Poems by Toni Morrison, silhouettes by Kara E. Walker, Rainmaker Editions, 2002. Additional information about the book can be found here.
For a low resolution PDF copy of the competition book, please email Jesse Hunt.
Each entry must include:
- A design proposal for binding Five Poems
- The design proposal should be mounted on 4-ply matboard, 32 inches by 20 inches.
- It should depict your design for the outside (front, back, spine), doublures or endpaper, and any unusual additional or decorative features.
- Any medium may be used in making your proposal, which should be finished suitably for exhibit. Include swatches of all materials you would intend to use in a final binding.
- Your depiction may be smaller than the actual book, but reduced no more than 50%.
- Your name should appear only on the back of the design board. Below is an example of a proposal from the 2018 competition:
Award-winning proposal from James Reid-Cunningham, 2018 DeGolyer competition
- An example binding.
- The example binding should be one of your completed works that reflects your current level of craftsmanship as well as techniques you have proposed in your design for Five Poems.
- Please send your example binding within an enclosure such as a phase-box, slipcase, or drop-spine box.
- The Competition Submission Form (please complete all the required fields and submit before mailing your entry).
Submitting your entry:
- Ship your entry via FED EX or UPS to:
Attn: Mr. Jesse Hunt
6005 Bishop Boulevard
Dallas, Texas 75205
- You are welcome to drop off your entry, please make arrangements by contacting Jesse Hunt.
Returning your entry:
- If you ship your entry to Bridwell Library we will return it by FED EX or UPS, unless you request otherwise.
- If you wish to pick up your entry, please make arrangements by contacting Jesse Hunt.
- Each return shipment of an example binding will be insured up to $500 in value.