SMU-in-Taos is located on 423 acres in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico. The restored 19th-century Fort Burgwin compound and the 13th-century Pot Creek Pueblo archaeological site are both unique and priceless.
For more than 40 years, the SMU-in-Taos campus has offered an educational program that combines the classroom with the cultural and natural resources of New Mexico to create a unique learning experience. History comes alive for students as they experience hands-on learning at the Fort Burgwin campus with courses offered on topics ranging from anthropology to statistics, and outdoor activities including river rafting, rock climbing, hiking and fly-fishing.
To learn more about the kinds of experiences afforded by this special campus, read an example of a student blog post here.
Life-changing experiences such as the one described above and countless others would not be possible without the faithful support of donors whose generosity continues to expand and enhance SMU’s New Mexico campus.
The dates for next Cultural Institute are July 18 – 21, 2019.
Questions? Contact Astria Smith at email@example.com.
How to Help: Become a Friend of SMU-in-Taos
The Friends of SMU-in-Taos fund provides unrestricted support for the ongoing operating needs of the SMU-in-Taos program and the unique experience offered at SMU’s Fort Burgwin campus. With an annual gift of $1,000 or more to this fund, you can become a Friend of SMU-in-Taos.
Becoming a Friend of SMU-in-Taos will:
- Increase scholarships – enable more undergraduate students to take advantage of this center for academic discovery.
- Strengthen curricula – expand for-credit courses, as well as other educational programs that make use of the unique environment of the campus, and foster collaborative teaching in ways not attainable on SMU’s campus in Dallas.
- Expand facilities – enhance student and faculty housing as well as a new campus center in a way that avoids damage to the area’s delicate environment.
As a Friend of SMU-in-Taos, You Will Receive:
- Invitations to exclusive Friends of SMU-in-Taos educational and social events
- Early registration for the SMU-in-Taos Cultural Institute weekend
Become a Friend of SMU-in-Taos today.