Please click here to view and download the New Student Checklist. This is a checklist of items that you must complete before you start classes this fall.
STEP 1: BECOME A MUSTANG!
- For all degree-seeking undergraduate transfer students entering SMU, a nonrefundable $420 Orientation and Matriculation deposit is required to reserve your place at SMU.
- Students who are younger than age 20 on August 15 for Fall entry or January 5 for Spring entry are required to submit an additional $100 Housing deposit.
- Students can pay their Orientation and Matriculation deposit and Housing deposit online or by calling 800-323-0672.
- Deposits are due by:
- Fall entry: July 1
- Spring entry: December 1
- Summer entry: May 1
- International students must also obtain an SMU I-20.
STEP 2: Start Making Plans
STEP 3: APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
STEP 4: HEALTH HISTORY
- Prior to registering for classes, all SMU students must complete and submit the SMU Student Health form. Please click here for details and instructions on what is required. Please note new Texas state law effective starting January 1, 2012, all students 30 years or younger must have received the meningitis immunization within the preceding 5 years, or a booster shot is required.
STEP 5: VISIT
- We want to show you what your life as an SMU student will be like! If you have not yet had the opportunity to visit campus, there are many options available this fall. Choose the option that is best for you. We can’t wait to welcome you to campus.
STEP 6: SECURE HOUSING
- SMU requires all first- and second-year students to live on campus. This requirement includes transfer students who are younger than age 20 on August 15 for Fall entry or January 5 for Spring entry.
- Those students must submit a $100 Housing deposit along with their $420 Orientation and Matriculation deposit, payable online.
- Transfer students older than age 20 may request housing by paying the $100 housing deposit online, along with their Orientation and Matriculation deposit. Housing is offered to these students on a space-available basis. The Office of Residence Life and Student Housing will follow up with you by email after you pay your deposit to make housing arrangements.
- Visit the Residence Life and Student Housing website for additional information. .
STEP 7:Dining Options
- Visit SMU Dining to explore the different meal plans on campus.