At SMU, you will build relationships with world changers like you – the problem-solvers, the influencers and the leaders who will make an impact around the globe.
“SMU makes my passion for accounting and biology easy to maneuver. SMU’s approach to interdisciplinary study has shaped me into a more critical thinker who can approach a problem from both business and scientific perspectives. And as I prepare for medical school, my dual degree plan gives me a competitive edge. I am able to pursue diverse internship opportunities, including those that focus on the business and clinical aspects of health care.”
— W. Holt Garner, Accounting and Biology double major and Chemistry minor, in downtown Dallas.
Putting the brakes on texting while driving Meet Neha
A 2014 collision inspired marketing and human rights major Neha Husein to create a smartphone app that rewards drivers for not texting while driving.
“Just Drive” awards points to drivers who lock their phones while driving. Those points can then be redeemed for free food, drinks or merchandise. “Just Drive is a perfect combination of my interests in human rights and marketing. It combines business with a philanthropic cause.”
Stepping into the business of politics Meet Zach
Zach Miller, an economics with financial applications major from Springfield, Missouri, is now pursuing a master’s degree in applied economics and predictive analytics at SMU and has mastered the Dallas political landscape.
As a Highland Capital Management Tower Scholar, he benefited from a unique immersion experience in public policymaking for SMU undergraduates through access to global and national leaders and policy makers and founded Atlas Strategies LLC, his own political consulting firm. “One of the biggest reasons I launched my firm was the network SMU provides.”
SMU integrates internships and experiential/applied learning opportunities outside of the classroom so that you build experience before applying for a job. https://smu.edu/career
- Six months after graduation, 93% OF SMU GRADUATES HAVE JOBS or are in grad school.
- Class of 2019 INTERNSHIP PLACEMENTS include those AT CITI, GOLDMAN SACHS AND J.P. MORGAN.
- STUDENTS selected for the BBA Portfolio Management Practicum course MANAGE THE $3 MILLION ANN RIFE COX UNDERGRADUATE FUND, one of the oldest student-managed portfolios in the country
- Meadows School of the Arts’ Temerlin ADVERTISING Institute STUDENTS LAND INTERNSHIPS AT PROMINENT AGENCIES in the Dallas area and beyond.
- Ninety percent of Lyle engineering students complete at least one internship.
- Many among our 58,000-PLUS DFW-AREA ALUMNI are entrepreneurs, executives and civic leaders who MENTOR SMU STUDENTS.