Please download the New Student Checklist. This is a checklist of items that you must complete before you start classes this fall.
STEP 1: BECOME A MUSTANG!
- Pay your nonrefundable $685 Orientation, Housing and Matriculation deposit at smu.edu/deposit (you will need your SMU email address and password)
STEP 2: SECURE HOUSING
- Beginning in February, approximately two weeks after we receive your deposit, we will e-mail you instructions on securing housing and information about your dining options.
STEP 3: VISIT
- Connect with the SMU campus and staff virtually. See several of the options here.
STEP 4: APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which will determine eligibility for federal and state financial aid (found at fafsa.gov) and the CSS Profile™, to be considered for university need-based aid (found at cssprofile.org) There is a $25 cost for completing the CSS Profile™. For priority consideration, the FAFSA and CSS Profile™ should be submitted by November 1 for Early Action and Early Decision I applicants and by January 15 for Regular Decision and Early Decision II applicants.
- Fill out the Application for Financial Aid Scholarships (email address and password required) to explore further scholarship opportunities for which you may be eligible. SMU's financial aid advisors can help you and your family determine the best way to finance your future. Click here to meet your financial aid advisor.
STEP 5: HEALTH HISTORY
- Before registering for classes in July, all SMU students must complete and submit the Report of Medical History and Consent of Medical Treatment form. Please click here for details and instructions on what is required. Please note Texas state law requires all students must have received the meningitis immunization within the preceding 5 years, or a booster shot is required.
STEP 6: PARENT INFORMATION
STEP 7: ORIENTATION AND STAMPEDE
- To fully transition into the SMU community, students will first complete Orientation.
- The second part of Orientation is Stampede. Stampede is the extended orientation program including everything from Move-In to Convocation. It’s the perfect opportunity to meet your new classmates as well as current SMU students, staff and faculty. You will also begin learning some of the most treasured SMU traditions! Stampede takes place a few days before classes start in August.
- We will send you detailed information and instructions about how to register for Orientation and Stampede in the coming weeks.