A partnership for progress
SMU and Dallas represent a partnership for your progress. The faculty and staff at SMU are dedicated to helping students prepare for and secure internships and full-time positions. Learn about several of our internship and career-focused resources below.
Hegi Family Career Development Center
Providing all SMU students with services including cover letter and résumé review sessions, interview prep workshops, access to Handshake, an online internship and job board for SMU students and alumni, invitations to on-campus employer recruiting events, and 1:1 career counseling appointments designed to assist students in navigating their internship and career paths.
Cox Career Management Center
Providing Cox School of Business students with services including access to Handshake, career coaching appointments, cover letter guidelines and résumé templates, and virtual meeting opportunities.
Hart Center for Engineering Leadership
Providing Lyle School of Engineering students with services including leadership and career development, mentorship opportunities, events, resources, and more.
SMU is home to 200+ student organizations. Students can join any of the organizations and work on skills including time management, organization, public speaking, leading meetings, decision-making, and networking.
The SMU Alumni Network
There are 130,000+ SMU alumni worldwide and 58,000+ alumni just in the DFW-Metroplex. Students can connect and network with alumni via the SMU Alumni Network.
SMU Return on Investment Facts
- As Dallas’ premier university, SMU has earned a reputation for supplying top talent to various Fortune 500 companies in the Dallas area.
- Six months after graduation 93% of SMU graduates have jobs or are in grad school. PayScale ranks SMU among the top 21% of universities by return on investment.
- College Factual counts SMU alumni among the top 5% of highest-paid graduates across a range of fields including the physical and social sciences; computer and information sciences; the humanities; the visual and performing arts; and business, management, and marketing.
- Around 45,000 SMU alumni live and work in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Dallas is home to more than 100,000 businesses and about 1,500 regional and corporate headquarters, and consistently is ranked as one of the nation’s best locations for its thriving environment for commerce.
- Because of SMU’s close ties with the community, area companies and other organizations, students can gain valuable work experience through internships and part-time jobs. Internships are available in a number of fields, including the humanities. In addition, many top executives serve as student mentors and visit campus for lively exchanges of information and ideas. Taking advantage of these opportunities during the academic year can open doors for summer internships in Dallas and all over the country.