Helpful Tips to Ease Your Student's Transition into Fraternity/Sorority Membership

Following is a list of suggestions that may ease your student's transition to fraternity/sorority membership at SMU:

  • Be happy and supportive with your son or daughter's choice of fraternity or sorority.
  • Remember that this is your student's choice, and they should choose the chapter that they feel is right for them, regardless of legacies or family history.
  • If you have a question about fraternity or sorority life, go to the source and ask the Fraternity & Sorority Life Staff. Don't buy into gossip or hearsay. We want you to have the best information possible.
  • Encourage your student to attend programs sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs as well as Fraternity and Sorority Life.
  • Know the name and phone number of the chapter president, new member educator, big brother/big sister, chapter advisor, and house director (if applicable).
  • Ask for details about the financial aspects of membership. Each chapter governs its finances individually. If you are paying, you deserve to know! Many one-time fees are paid in the first semester, so expect the first semester to be the most expensive.
  • Initiation is an important time for the new initiates. Be supportive and respectful of this time for your student. Our new member programs at SMU are limited to eight (8) weeks of activities. Initiation dates should be made public to the new members.
  • Talk with your son or daughter! Phone calls, e-mails, letters and care packages are always appreciated.
  • Attend SMU Family Weekend.
  • Get involved with the chapter's Parents' Club.
  • Expect to see new t-shirts, photos, and other Greek paraphernalia.
  • Encourage your student to be a part of the SMU community and take advantage of our numerous resources.
  • Understand that the information on this website is updated frequently as is the most accurate information you can find.  Often, people believe things they hear from friends, colleagues or former students.  Your best bet is to check the website and contact our office if you have a question.