Associate Professor of Economics, SMU
Umphrey Lee 301K
Thomas Osang joined the SMU faculty in 1994 after completing his Ph.D. at the University of California, San Diego. His research and teaching interests are in the area of international trade and finance as well as economic development. Among others, he has investigated theoretical and empirical links between international trade and economic growth, the impact of exchange rate volatility on trade, the quantitative contribution of globalization to U.S. wage inequality, and the empirical validity of political economy of trade policy models.
Education and Honors
- Ph.D., University of California at San Diego, 1994
M.A., Economics, University of Dortmund, Germany
B.A., Economics, University of Dortmund, Germany
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Immigration Policies, Labor Complementarities, and Cultural Frictions: Theory and Evidence,” (with S. Weber), International Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 13(1), 2017: 95-111
- “Did China Tire Safeguard Save U.S. Workers?” (with S. Chung and J. Lee), European Economic Review, Vol. 85, 2016: 22-38
- “Institutions, Geography, and Trade – A Panel Data Study” (with Jeffry Jacob), Faith & Economics, Vol. 66 (Fall), 2015: 95-123
“World Trade and Investment: Where do the BRICs stand?” The Law and Business Review of the Americas, 18(4), 2012: 515-536
- "Short and Long-Run Effects of Trade on Growth and Welfare," in Progress in Economics Research, A. Tavidze (ed.), Vol. 18, Nova Science: Hauppauge, NY, 2011.
- “Endogenous Mortality, Human Capital and Economic Growth” (with J. Sarkar), Journal of Macroeconomics, 30(4), 2008: 1423-1445.
- "Trade, Wages, and Specific Factors" (with I. Dasgupta), Review of International Economics, 15(1), 2007: 45-61.
- “Do State Borders Matter for U.S. Intranational Trade? The Role of History and Internal Migration” (with D. Millimet), Canadian Journal of Economics, 40(1), 2007: 93-126.
- "Protection for Sale: An Empirical Investigation: Comment," (with T. Eicher), American Economic Review, 95(5), 2002: 1702-1710.
- "Exchange-Rate Volatility and Foreign Trade: Evidence from Thirteen LDCs," (with A. Arize and D. Slottje), Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, 18(1), 2000: 10-17.
- "Differential Tariffs, Growth, and Welfare in a Small Open Economy," (with S. Turnovsky), Journal of Development Economics, 62, 2000: 315 -342.
- "Import Tariffs and Growth in a Small Open Economy," (with A. Pereira), in Journal of Public Economics, 60, 1996: 45-71.