Eric G. Bing
Professor of Global Health, SMU
Heroy Hall 421
Download CV | Download Bio | Website
Eric G. Bing, MD, PhD, MBA is a professor of global health in the Department of Applied Physiology and Wellness in the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development and in the Department of Anthropology in Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences at SMU. He has a concurrent appointment with the George W. Bush Institute as senior fellow and director of global health.
Before joining the Bush Institute in 2011, Bing was an endowed professor of global health for nearly 20 years at the Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles. He has developed and managed global health programs in Africa, Central America and the Caribbean, including HIV prevention, care and treatment programs in Rwanda, Angola, Nigeria, Namibia, Belize and Jamaica. For his efforts, he was awarded the Alfred Haynes International Health Leadership Award in 2002, named in 2006 a Paul G. Rogers International Health Research Ambassador from Research!America and named 2010 Professor of the Year at Charles Drew University.
As director of global health at the Bush Institute, Dr. Bing has initiated worldwide health initiatives, including serving as co-leader of the institute’s Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon partnership, an $85 million public-private program designed to combat cervical and breast cancer in Africa and Latin America.
Dr. Bing has published more than 90 articles and abstracts. He received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School, a Master’s of Public Health and a PhD in Epidemiology from UCLA, and an MBA from the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University. His book, Pharmacy on a Bicycle: Innovative Solutions in Global Health and Poverty, was released in May 2013.
Education and Honors
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, University of California at Los Angeles
- M.B.A., Duke University
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- Bing, EG, Epstein M (2013). Pharmacy on a Bicycle: Innovative Solutions in Global Health and Poverty. Berrett-Kohler Publishers and George W. Bush Institute Press.
- Galvan FH, Ortiz DJ, Martinez V, Bing, E.G. (2009). The use of female commercial sex workers' services by Latino day laborers. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences.
- Cheng, KG.; Ortiz, DJ; Weiss, RE.; Shi, L; Ovalle-Bahamon, RE; Ernesto, F; Grillo, MP; Bing, EG., (2010) "Patterns of Alcohol Consumption and Factors Influencing Problematic Drinking among Angolan Soldiers", Journal of Substance Use. 1(12).
- Estein, MJ, Bing, EG, (2011) "Delivering Health Care to the Global Poor: Solving the Accessibility Problem," Innovations 6(2), 117-141.
Rurangirwa, J., Bingham, T.A., Kim, J., Hu, Y.W., Bing, E.G., (2012) "Late HIV detection among adult males in Los Angeles County, 2000-2004," AIDS Care, 24(8).