Department Chair & Robert B. Cullum Professor of Accounting, SMU
C-386Download CV | Download Bio | Website
Hemang Desai is a leading expert on mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, short selling and financial reporting. His work on spinoffs, short sellers, management turnover, earnings restatements, stock-splits and analyst recommendations have appeared in top academic journals such as the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics and The Accounting Review, as well as top practitioner journals such as the Financial Analysts Journal. In addition, Desai’s research has been the subject of various articles at publications such as The Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, The New York Times and CFO Magazine, among others. His consulting clients have included companies such as McKinsey & Co., Entergy Corp. and Baker & McKenzie.
- Ph.D. Freeman School of Business Tulane University
- M.B.A., University of New Orleans
- BsC., St. Xavier’s College, Bombay, MAH IND
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- Do short sellers target firms with poor earnings quality?: Evidence from earnings restatements,with Srini Krishnamurthy and Kumar Venkataraman, Reveiw of Accounting Studies, March 2006.
- Reputational penalities for aggressive accounting: Management turnover and earnings restatements, with Chris Hogan and Mike Wilkins, The Accounting Reveiw, January 2006.
- Value-Glamour and Accrual-based Market Anomalies: One Anomaly or Two? with Shiva Rajgopal and Mohan Venkatachalam, The Accounting Review, April 2004.
- Long-run Stock Returns Following Financial Analysis by Abraham Briloff, with Prem C. Jain, Financial Analysts Journal, March/April 2004.
- An Investigation of the Informational Role of Short Interest on the Nasdaq Market, with K. Ramesh, Ramu Thiagarajan and Bala Balachandran, Journal of Finance, October 2002.
- Do All Stars Shine? An Evaluation of Analysts' Recommendations, with Bing Liang and Ajai Singh, Financial Analyst Journal, May/June 2000.
- Firm Performance and Focus: Long-run Stock Market Performance Following Spinoffs, with Prem C. Jain, Journal of Financial Economics, October 1999.
- Long-run Common Stock Returns Following Stock Splits and Reverse Splits, with Prem C. Jain, Journal of Business, July 1997.
- An Analysis of the Recommendations of the "Superstar" Money Managers at the Barron's Annual Roundtable, with Prem C. Jain, Journal of Finance, September 1995.