Associate Professor of Law, SMU
Download CV | Download Bio | Website
A member of Phi Beta Kappa and of the Georgetown Law Journal, Professor Bridge was assistant dean and adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law Center before accepting the Jervey Fellowship in Foreign Law from Columbia University in 1976-78. He studied at the Faculties of Letters and of Law at the University of Caen, France, in 1970-71, and at the French Court of Cassation, the French Council of State, and the French Center for Comparative Law in 1977-78. In 1984 and 1986, Professor Bridge was a visiting professor at Georgetown University Law Center. Fluent in French, he teaches criminal law and procedure, evidence, professional responsibility, comparative law, and law and literature. He publishes and pursues research in evidence, professional responsibility, criminal procedure, and foreign law.
Education and Honors
- B.S.F.S., Georgetown University, 1970
- J.D., Georgetown University, 1974
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- Speaker, “Basics of Evidence,” Mock Trial Workshop, SMU Board of Advocates, September 2004.
- Panelist, “Medical and Legal Ethics of the Schiavo Case,” Higginbotham Inn of Court, October 2004.
- Speaker, “Basics of Evidence,” Trial Skills Section, Dallas Bar Association (with Judges Barbara Lynn and Joe Cox), November 2004.
- Speaker, Conference for Bankruptcy Judges, SMU Dedman School of Law, September 2003.
- Speaker, meeting of Texas Association of State University Attorneys, September 2003.
- Speaker, “Preservation of Error,” Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Criminal Courts Practice Seminar, October 2003.
- Speaker at dinner for President’s Scholars, October 2003.
- Speaker, “Professional Responsibility,” Legal Services of NorthWest Texas, October 2003.
- Panelist, Amnesty International National Hearings on Racial Profiling, November 2003.
- Presenter, Perkins School of Theology, Faculty Forum, December 2003. Co-facilitator, “Civility in the Classroom,” Teaching Effectiveness Symposium, SMU, August 2004.
- PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY UPDATE, Dallas Chapter, Federal Bar Association, Federal Civil Practice Seminar, 2002.
- RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN EVIDENCE LAW IN THE FIFTH CIRCUIT, Dallas Chapter, Federal Bar Association, Federal Practice Seminar, 1998, 1999, 2000.
- CAN WE TALK?: A “STEELE-Y” ANALYSIS OF ABA OPINION 411, 52 SMU Law Review 683, 64 Journal of Air Law & Commerce 633 (1999) (with Moss), excerpted in Richard A. Zitrin & Carol M. Langford, LEGAL ETHICS IN THE PRACTICE OF LAW, (2d ed. 2002), at 135.