Ally: One united with another in alliance, to unite in alliance
Alliance: A union to promote a common interest
The Allies group was formed by faculty, staff, and students with the intention of providing visible, tangible support for lesbian, gay bisexual, transgender, and questioning members of the SMU community.
Some specific purposes of the group are:
- To provide all students, faculty, and staff with an avenue to demonstrate their support of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning individuals.
- To provide educational opportunities and inclusiveness through promoting understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning communities, as well as to highlight contributions of the lgbt members to the university community.
- To increase awareness of discrimination and harassment on the basis of sexual orientation and to overcome subtle and pervasive oppression and insensitivity.
- To provide access for students to specific individuals (safe zones) and forums for CONFIDENTIAL discussion, support, and resource information.
Join the Allies List Serve
Receive information about upcoming events, action alerts, and GLBT news items.
Community Opportunities for Action
- Check out the Human Rights Campaign Action Center for current legislative efforts that could benefit from your support. The link is: http://hrc.policy.net
PSA by Jefferson Whitney Johnson, SMU April 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCgchzh65k
For further information or if you are interested in becoming an Ally, please contact Karen Click at 214-768-4796 or you can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.