The Student Conduct and Community Standards Office assists students in their personal development by providing a fair conduct review process that issues consistent sanctions for behavior that is incongruent with the University's expectations for students. The Office addresses academic and non-academic behavior.
2010-11 DEPARTMENTAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Implementation of the Informal Resolution process. The implementation of this process led to a reduction in the recidivism rate for students who violated the alcohol policy from 17.6% during the 2009-1010 academic year to 12.7% during the 2010-2011 academic year.
- Training the Interfraternity Council Hearing board to adjudicate cases where an entire fraternity is referred for conduct reasons.
- Assisting in identifying four new students to be appointed to the University Conduct Council.
- At the conclusion of the Fall semester we conducted a survey of students who went through the Conduct Review Process to better understand the strengths and areas that need improvement within the process.
- Selected new software to be implemented during the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Advised the Honor Council as they conducted 8 hearings.
- At the semester break our graduate student resigned to focus on her studies. We conducted a search but were not able to identify a qualified candidate.
- Working to develop a mutually agreeable contract with our selected software vendor. The prolonged negotiation period required several adjustments to the implementation timeline.
- Similar to the Fall survey at the conclusion of the Spring semester we conducted a survey of students who went through the Conduct Review Process but did not get the same response rate we did during the fall semester.
- Continue to work with the Honor Council to adjudicate cases that are referred to them.
- Provide effective training to the Interfraternity Council Hearing Board, University Conduct Board, and the University Conduct Council.
- Continue using the Informal Resolution process to reduce the rate of recidivism in students who violate the alcohol policy.
Exemplary Division of Student Affairs
- Continue to evaluate the Conduct Review Process by conducting a survey of students who have been required to go through the process to ensure we are using the best practices within the area of student conduct.