The mission of Student Activities is to advise and support student organizations and to encourage student development through involvement.
2012-13 DEPARTMENTAL HIGHLIGHTS
This was our first full year as Student Activities. We moved past the initial steps of developing a department and began new initiatives, roles, and adjusted our focus. Specifically, we accomplished the following goals:
- Secured the purchase of Collegiate Link – a computer program that will change and improve all departmental services and communication efforts.
- Added a Student Activities Advisor Newsletter to provide additional resources and information to our advisors.
- Hosted or advised 3 of the 4 most attended programs in the first 6 weeks of school.
- Produced University awards ceremonies Dorothy Amann & Awards Extravaganza
- Administrative Assistant Lydia Dale was recognized by SMU for her 30 years of service in the Department of Student Activities.
- Student Foundation hosted traditional events including Mane Event, Family Weekend, Homecoming and Celebration of Lights.
- Program Council had an especially productive year and was tapped to produce a portion of the Bush Block Party in addition to highly successful Sing Song, Block Party and Park’nParty.
- Relay for Life earned charter status and won Top 5 Awards in the High Plains Division, including: Top Fundraising Team, Top Individual Fundraiser, Top Collegiate/Youth Event
- Launched a Student Activities presence on Facebook and Twitter to better communicate with students.
- When school is in session, we are short-staffed. We would benefit greatly from a graduate assistant.
- Implementation of the new Collegiate Link system is positive, yet extremely time consuming.
- Moving the Use of Grounds process from Facilities Services to Student Activities.
- Establish successful Collegiate Link program.
- Enhance outreach to incoming students to facilitate involvement in student organizations.
- Enhance training for student organizations and provide additional resources in the areas of event planning, leadership development and organization operations.
- Secure a Graduate Assistant
Exemplary Division of Student Affairs
- Enhance departmental assessment.