The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs works collaboratively with the campus community to provide support for students of color. We focus specifically on holistic development, advocacy and comprehensive student success. The Office works to create an environment that fosters inclusivity and a deeper understanding of diversity.
2012-13 DEPARTMENTAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Partnered with the Hegi Family Career Development Center to develop the 2nd Diversity Career Reception connecting potential employers with students of color.
- Produced a successful and highly attended series of programs during Dream Week in commemoration of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. This includes the annual Unity Walk that saw record number of attendees and a Unity Luncheon to culminate the week.
- Continued to grow programs associated with Black History Month
- Piloted “Real Talk: Conversations Around Diversity,” a series that featured dialogue around current events related to diversity and inclusion in our community.
- Reestablished the Multicultural Student Leadership Retreat that provided an opportunity for cultural student organization leaders to acquire the skills helpful in providing quality leadership to their groups.
- Collaborated with the Community Engagement and Leadership Office to sponsor an Alternative Spring Break trip.
- Piloted the “Get CONNECTED” series that socially, culturally and academically integrated 1st year students of color into the SMU campus community
- Being short staffed for the majority of the Fall semester created opportunities for current staff members to collaborate on several programs and initiatives.
- We are continuing to make efforts to “rebrand” our department as a separate unit from Student Activities.
- Develop a sophomore initiative for the CONNECT program
- Strengthen relationships with units across campus to serve the comprehensive needs of students of color.
- Begin Monthly Leadership Roundtables for Multicultural Student Organization leaders.
- Develop a comprehensive leadership training module for CONNECT Mentors.
Exemplary Division of Student Affairs
- Develop an advanced multicultural competence seminar series of faculty and staff at SMU to assist them in their efforts to work with SMU’s diverse student population.
- Develop a comprehensive diversity training and education program available to the SMU community in various formats.