Office of the Dean of Student Life
Ten Essential Tips for Students
- Call 911 in case of an emergency, or to report any safety concerns, regardless of your location.
- The Office of the Dean of Student Life is here as a resource to consult when looking for general information and assistance, or if you simply do not know where else to go. We will do our best to help get you pointed in the right direction!
- Get involved! Students who are involved in out-of-class activities (i.e. clubs, sports, organizations) report more overall satisfaction with their college experience, and are more likely to graduate.
- All SMU students are expected to uphold the Honor Code and principles of academic integrity.
- When in doubt about questions of academic honesty, you should consult the instructor of the course in question. For example, turning in the same paper for two different courses is only acceptable with the prior permission of both instructors.
- Students who utilize the services in the SMU Hegi Family Career Development Center during their first year report greater success in finding the job of their choice.
- The Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center offers tutoring, academic success courses, and supplemental instruction without charge for all students. Check it out!
- SMU students are members of the University community wherever they go, and are held responsible by the University for their actions and behavior on and off campus.
- Students are responsible for their own lives. It is your responsibility to read and to utilize all resources available, including the information contained in the Student Handbook and other campus publications.
- CALL HOME - your parents want to hear from you!