Dedman Policies and Etiquette
Dedman Center is reserved for SMU enrolled students, active members, and paid guest.
All patrons of the Rec Center are required to follow policy and asked to demonstrate appropriate etiquette.
- Proper proof of active membership (SMU ID, Membership Card, or paid Guest Pass) is required to access Dedman Center.
- 3 Check-In Rule:
- Each active member will receive 3 courtesy check-ins at the front desk for inoperable or absent ID card.
- After the 3rd check-in, a NO ID Fee will apply to those with SMU ID number and active membership status to SMU.
- Dedman access is non-transferrable.
- A picture ID with date of birth is required to purchase daily Guest Pass or Guest Packages.
- Activity or behavior with the intent (real or perceived) to deceive or cause harm to self, other patrons, staff or property will NOT be tolerated.
- ONLY minors (under the age of 18) of active members are permitted access to the facility. Access is restricted to family hours , holidays, or facilitated activities (e.g. swim lessons) and the minor MUST be accompanied by the parent/guardian.
- Food and open drink containers are NOT permitted past the entry gates unless as part of an approved and reserved Special Event. See Reservations.
- Shirts and appropriate shoes are required within the Dedman Center (excludes indoor pool).
- Wheeled devices (excludes ADA devices necessary for mobility) such as roller blades, skateboards, scooters and hover boards, are not permitted to be used within Dedman Center.
- The consumption or possession of alcohol or drugs on Dedman property is strictly PROHIBITED.
- Weapons, as defined by SMU Policy 10.5, are not permitted on the premises.
Every gymnasium has a set of rules or policies (See Above). Rules and policies are often focused on the safety of people and property and security of the facility.
Etiquette can be defined as commonly accepted code of conduct or behavior. Etiquette is often the "unwritten" rules guiding decisions and actions for a specific social group, culture, organization or activity. Think "sportsmanship". Most recreation centers or "gym" adhere to an etiquette that reinforces respect for facility and courtesy to others.
Dedman Etiquette includes but is not limited to:
- Return weights, equipment and towels to the appropriate location.
- Remove dirt and debris from shoes before entering Rec Center.
- Avoid taking pictures in work out areas, locker rooms or pool-it's just creepy. Approval for photography and filming within Dedman is required. See Reservations.
- Foul language, grunting and yelling is discouraged- if it is that hard, perhaps back off a little.
- Avoid "homesteading" on equipment or in workout areas to allow others access between sets or while resting.
- Disinfect and wipe down machines and mats after use.
- Wear shoes with non-scuffing soles in the activity areas.
- Report malfunctions, spills, broken equipment, INJURIES, etc. to the desk staff.
- Avoid dropping weights except in areas specifically designed for the activity.
Blatant violations and disregard for Dedman policies and etiquette could result in loss of access privilege, University sanctions and/or law enforcement. Any questions or comments should be directed the Main Desk at 214-768-3374.
Specific Area Rules/Policies:
- MUST be age 18 (or a current SMU student) or older to use fitness/cardio equipment or weights.
- NO outside personal training will be permitted under any circumstances and may result in the loss of membership privileges.
- Closed toe shoes are required.
- Shirts are required.
- Do NOT remove weights or workout equipment from fitness floor or studios.
- The Recreational Pool will be available to swimmers under the age of 18 during Family Hours or scheduled private swim lessons.
- Minors under age 14 must be accompanied by an adult while in the pool with an adult to minor ration of 1:4.
- Non-potty trained children must wear a swim diaper.
- Only Coast Guard approved life jackets will be allowed in the pool area.
- The Falls will only be available to those under 18 on Saturdays until 1:00pm.
- No glass containers are permitted at The Falls or sand volleyball courts
- Rinse off sand before entering The Falls.
- Climbers under the age 18 are only allowed in the Climbing Center area during Family Hours and while the Climbing Center is staffed. Includes bouldering wall.
- Climbers under the age of 18 AND their legal guardian or parent must sign a Climbing Center waiver to climb in the area.
- Climbers under that age of 13 are designated “climb only” and must be belayed by staff or an Approved Climber.
- Climbers above the age of 13 can acquire an Approved Climber Card.
- To access the Climbing Center, climbers must be Dedman Center Members or affiliation with SMU (Faculty, Staff, or Student). Unless included by a family membership or spouse membership, the climber is considered a guest and charged the associated fees.
- Due to limited equipment, climbing equipment will be first come, first serve.
- All climbers are expected to abide by Climbing Center Safety Policies and posted Rules.
Filming at the Dedman Center:
To protect the privacy of Dedman Center members and Southern Methodist University, filming within Dedman Center property is prohibited without proper prior approval.
To film in the Dedman Center, non-SMU affiliated individuals must seek permission from SMU Public Affairs.
SMU Student or SMU Affiliation
Prior to filming for any purpose, the individual will need approval from Dedman Center management. Submit the Filming Request Form (PDF) for approval and signature by Dedman Center management. This signed form must be presented to the front desk staff on the day of filming for filming access to be granted.
Submit the form in-person at the Dedman Center or email email@example.com.
A Consent for Publication of Photograph Form (PDF) must also be completed, and signatures must be obtained from every person being filmed. This form must be submitted to the front desk after the filming takes place.
Forms for Filming
If you have any questions or comments, please contact 214-768-4823.