Every gymnasium has its rules when it comes to using its fitness area. The Dedman Center is no exception. The unspoken, common sense rules of the Rec Center are politely enforced by our student staff. All participants and users of the Rec Center weight room are required to follow these policies and etiquette, which include:
- Rack your own weights
- Wipe the equipment after use, and cleaning up after yourself
- Report malfunctions, spills, broken equipment, etc. to the staff
- Return towels to the towel chute located between the Wellness office and the Fitness Desk and check out with staff at the Fitness Desk
- Restrict the use of foul language - either written or spoken
- Wear proper gym attire (non-scuffing athletic shoes, no denim)
Failure to do so could result in possible loss of gym privileges. Any questions or comments should be directed to the manager on duty at the Main Desk at 214-768-3374.
Gym Courts, Track, Games Area:
Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent.
- Participants must be 18 years old (or a current SMU student) to use fitness/cardio equipment or weights.
- No outside personal training will be permitted under any circumstances and may result in the loss of membership privileges.
- The Recreational Pool will be available to swimmers under the age of 18 during the following hours: Friday, 6:00pm-8:00pm (Recreational pool only) Saturday, 10-6pm (1-6pm Recreational pool only) Sunday, 1:00pm-6:00pm (Recreational Pool Only)
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult in the facility; under the age of 14 must be in the pool area. There must be a ratio of 4 children to 1 adult.
- Non-potty trained children must wear a swim diaper.
- Only Coast Guard approved lifejackets will be allowed in the pool area.
The Falls will only be available to those under 18 on Saturdays from 8:00am-1:00pm
- Climbers under the age 18 are only allowed in the Climbing Center area during staffed hours. This will be the only time they can climb on the Taos Tower and Hueco Bouldering wall.
- Friday: 6-10pm
- Saturday 10am-6pm
- Sunday 1-6pm
- Climbers under the age of 18 AND their legal guardian or parent must sign a Climbing Center waiver to climb in the area.
- Climbers under that age of 13 are designated “climb only” and must be belayed by staff or an Approved Climber.
- Climbers above the age of 13 can acquire an Approved Climber Card.
- Climbers under the age of 13 must wear a helmet during roped climbing on the Taos Tower. 6. To access the Climbing Center, climbers must be Dedman Center Members or affiliation with SMU (Faculty, Staff, or Student). Unless included by a family membership or spouse membership, the climber is considered a guest and charged the associated fees.
- Due to limited equipment, climbing equipment will be first come, first serve.
- All climbers are expected to abide by Climbing Center Safety Policies and posted Rules.
Guidelines for Filming at the Dedman Center:
Any non-SMU personnel will need to be identified prior to gaining permission and access into the facility and the guest fee must be paid.
Prior to Filming
A person filming for any purpose will need to submit the Filming Request Form (PDF) for approval and signature a minimum of 3 business days prior to filming to a Facility Coordinator or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This signed form must be presented to the front desk staff on the day of filming for filming access to be granted.
In the absence of a Facility Coordinator, Tracy Veliz, the Assistant Director of Facilities, may be contacted for approval at email@example.com.
Filming for the use of outside of classroom distribution and outside media must be approved by the SMU Office of Public Affairs prior to contacting the Facility Coordinator.
A Consent for Publication of Photograph Form (PDF) must also be completed, and signatures must be obtained from every person being filmed. This form must be submitted to the front desk after the filming takes place.
Forms for Filming
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Main Desk at 214-768-3374.