Every gymnasium has its rules when it comes to using its fitness area. The Dedman Center is no exception. The unspoken, common sense rules of the Rec Center are politely enforced by our Dedman Staff. All participants and users of the Rec Center weight room are required to follow these policies and etiquette, which include:
- Dedman access is granted to enrolled students, members and paying guest with proof of identity (SMU ID, Dedman Member ID or daily guest pass)
- Entry by disseption will result in loss of priviledges and/or University santions
- Anyone utilizing Dedman under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent
- Food and open drink containers are not allowed in activity areas such as courts, track, pool, climbing wall and fitness floor
- Report malfunctions, spills, broken equipment, etc. to the fitness desk staff
- Return towels to the Fitness Desk or dispose in a conveniently located laundry basket
- Restrict the use of foul language - either written or spoken
- Wear proper gym attire (non-scuffing athletic shoes, no denim apparel, no sports bras)
- Closed-toe athletic shoes are required throughout the building
- The consumption or possession of alcohol or drugs on Dedman property is strictly prohibited.
Blatant violations and disregard for Dedman policies could result in loss of access priviledges, University sanctions and/or law enforcement. Any questions or comments should be directed the Main Desk at 214-768-3374.
Gym Courts, Track, Games Area:
- Must be age 18 (or a current SMU student) or older to use fitness/cardio equipment or weights.
- No outside personal training will be permitted under any circumstances and may result in the loss of membership privileges.
- Rack your own weights and replace equipment to the appropriate location.
- Wipe the equipment and mat after use and clean up after yourself
- The Recreational Pool will be available to swimmers under the age of 18 during the following hours: Friday, 6:00pm-8:00pm (Recreational pool only) Saturday, 10-6pm (1-6pm Recreational pool only) Sunday, 1:00pm-6:00pm (Recreational Pool Only)
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult in the facility; under the age of 14 must be in the pool area. There must be a ratio of 4 children to 1 adult.
- Non-potty trained children must wear a swim diaper.
- Only Coast Guard approved lifejackets will be allowed in the pool area.
- The Falls will only be available to those under 18 on Saturdays from 8:00am-1:00pm
- No glass containers are permitted at The Falls or sand volleyball courts
- Rinse off sand before entering The Falls.
- Climbers under the age 18 are only allowed in the Climbing Center area during staffed hours. This will be the only time they can climb on the Taos Tower and Hueco Bouldering wall.
- Friday: 6-10pm
- Saturday 10am-6pm
- Sunday 1-6pm
- Climbers under the age of 18 AND their legal guardian or parent must sign a Climbing Center waiver to climb in the area.
- Climbers under that age of 13 are designated “climb only” and must be belayed by staff or an Approved Climber.
- Climbers above the age of 13 can acquire an Approved Climber Card.
- To access the Climbing Center, climbers must be Dedman Center Members or affiliation with SMU (Faculty, Staff, or Student). Unless included by a family membership or spouse membership, the climber is considered a guest and charged the associated fees.
- Due to limited equipment, climbing equipment will be first come, first serve.
- All climbers are expected to abide by Climbing Center Safety Policies and posted Rules.
Filming at the Dedman Center:
To protect the privacy of Dedman Center members and Southern Methodist University, filming within Dedman Center property is prohibited without proper approval.
To film in the Dedman Center, non-SMU affiliated individuals must seek permission from SMU Public Affairs.
SMU Student or SMU Affiliation
Prior to filming for any purpose, the individual will need approval from Dedman Center management. Submit the Filming Request Form (PDF) for approval and signature by Dedman Center management. This signed form must be presented to the front desk staff on the day of filming for filming access to be granted.
Submit the form in-person at the Dedman Center or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Consent for Publication of Photograph Form (PDF) must also be completed, and signatures must be obtained from every person being filmed. This form must be submitted to the front desk after the filming takes place.
Forms for Filming
If you have any questions or comments, please contact 214-768-4823.