If you are a student interested in working at the Dedman Center, click the button below to complete the online student employment application.
Click on the links to view Job Descriptions:
- Responsible for maintaining surveillance of the Dedman Recreation Center recreational pool and outdoor fountain area to enforce rules, prevent injury and perform American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR-PR and First Aid techniques as needed
- This position requires a commitment to work two shifts per week at the Dedman Recreation Center Recreational Pool and at least one weekend per month.
- This position also requires a current certification in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
Water Safety Instructor
- Responsible for leading swim classes for a wide variety of age and skills levels.
- Duties will include planning age and skill appropriate lessons and providing a safe environment for students.
- This position requires certification as an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- Previous experience teaching or working with children and American Red Cross Lifeguard certification preferred.
Water Fitness Instructor
- Responsible for planning and leading water fitness classes.
- This position requires a semester commitment.
- This position requires certification from a recognized aquatic fitness organization (AEA, AFAA, or YMCA) and American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard certification and teaching experience preferred.
Please stop by the Dedman Center for more information or contact Lindsey Gavlick email@example.com
[back to top]
Duties and Responsibilities for Desk Attendants
- Be familiar with the Department of Recreational Sports’ programs, facilities, policies, procedures, and assigned duties.
- Ensure safety of all patrons using the recreation facilities.
- Exemplify professional attitude with regard to public relations, ensuring that patrons are greeted and welcomed to the center and given accurate information.
- Ensure entrance control to only Dedman Center Members, Guests and special groups. Always verify with a photo ID, receipt or special guest list.
- Completing assigned cleaning duties, and opening / closing procedures while ensuring all patrons have vacated the building when closing.
- Conduct thorough rounds of the facility and keep the Recreation Center clean by picking up any trash or debris that may be lying around and cleaning any spills immediately after they occur.
- Report incidents and injuries according to established policies.
- Issue and take inventory of a multitude of recreation equipment, sales and the general upkeep of the Main Desk and Fitness Desk.
- Maintain fiscal accountability for all transactions while on duty.
- Assist with walk-in traffic and give facility tours if time permits.
- Telephone and reception responsibilities behind the Main Desk.
- Operate commercial type washer machine and dryer to include loading/unloading and sorting/folding of items.
- Other duties as assigned by professional staff.
- You must be able to safely lift at least 50 pounds (23 kg).
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Main Desk at 214-768-3374.
[back to top]
Duties and Responsibilities:
Teach fun and exciting fitness classes at SMU. Must have a general understanding of all SMU group exercise and fitness policies and provide excellent customer service to all instructional class participants and patrons of the Recreation Center. Instruct fun and safe instructional classes in accordance with certifications and within experience and training. Flexible hours and in-house training.
- High level of responsibility
- AFAA or ACE Group Exercise Certification
- Current CPR/AED Certifications
- Previous experience teaching group exercise classes
SMU Personal Training program only employs trainers who have the following primary Personal Trainer Certifications: ACE, ACSM, AFAA, NSCA, Cooper Institute and NASM. This position is the highest-paying job for students on campus, and is in high demand. Completing Personal Trainer Prep does not, by any means, guarantee you of a job as a trainer for the SMU Personal Training program. Positions will be offered on a need-be basis each semester to select students who meet the criteria described above.
This position requires:
- Current Adult CPR certification
- One-on-one personal train
- Attend monthly meetings
- Work events and providing Orientation Sessions
- Keep Current Certification
- Attend two workshops in a year for CEC's/CEU's ("Continuing Education Credits/Continuing Education Units")
[back to top]
Officials are needed for many of the team sports that are offered through Intramurals. If you have basic knowledge of rules and regulations we hope that you would be able to take the training that we will provide and develop a skill that can keep you involved with the game for a lifetime. Games are played Sunday-Thursday in the evenings and scheduling is very flexible. Officials are still able to participate on teams in the league.
[back to top]
SMU Outdoor Adventures (OA) is one of the Best Leadership Development Programs on Campus! We change lives and positively impact others. SMU OA transcends recreation and focuses on preparing future leaders for life after SMU. Whether designing and delivering outdoor recreational trips and workshops, mentoring and instructing peers, or working shifts at the Rental Shop and Climbing Wall, the SMU OA Leader is positively impacting the lives of others. We get to do this using fun, exciting and challenging activities like rock climbing, backpacking, canoeing, caving and more. And did we mention it's paid?
Outdoor experience is not the most important qualification; what is important is true motivation, a passion for the outdoors and the desire to teach others. Training and development opportunities are made available. Leadership opportunities are available year-round (if desired) extending throughout the university career or as long as is desired and is beneficial to the individual and the program. Leader training takes time, energy, commitment and dedication to the Leader Mission:
We, as Leaders of the SMU Outdoor Adventures program, strive to enrich ourselves, the SMU community and the program. We role model leadership by constantly building and maintaining interpersonal, educational and outdoor skills, a high level of self-awareness, and an atmosphere of excellence. We create an environment that improves lives and reaches beyond the program and ourselves.
Applications are accepted year-round, however, hiring of leaders will be determined by program needs. Vacancies will be advertised.
Interested in gaining life-long transferrable leadership skills?
- Submit an online application. Applications submitted incomplete will not be considered.
- Application review by the Hiring Committee.
- Interview by Hiring Committee.
- Interview by program administrators.
- Trip Leader applicants must complete the Outdoor Leadership Training (OLT) trip.
For any questions please contact the Outdoor Adventures Office at 214-768-9918 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
[back to top]
SMU Preschool and Child Care Center
As a student worker at SMU Preschool and Child Care Center you will be assisting in several areas of the center. The following is a list of things that you will be asked to help out with on any given day. You will need to be CPR/First Aide certified. You will also have a complete background check through the State of Texas Child Care Licensing Department and a FBI background check. You will also need a current TB Test. (We will pay for these items if needed).
• Assist Director as needed with office tasks (children’s files, filing, some computer work, copies, copies of daily sheets, roster, playground checklist etc.)
• Assist classroom teacher’s as needed ( reading, classroom assistant, cutting out items, art projects, cleaning toys, prepare snack, clean tables, washing dishes, taking out trash, get classroom closed for the day, children’s portfolios, assist as needed other items)
• Cleaning/ sanitizing of toys in hallway
• Organizing the center Library
• Assist with diapering, bathroom assistance (bringing inside from playground)
• Assistance on the playground to oversee safety of the children
• Assist with supplies restocked in classrooms and supply closets
• Help with lunch breaks as needed
• Other duties as needed or assigned
[back to top]