Frequently Asked Questions
If your question isn't answered here, please email us at email@example.com
Am I guaranteed housing next year?
- Yes, if you are living in a Residential Commons or other residential community, BUT you must reapply February 2-23 in order to participate in room selection. If you apply after February 23, we will assign you pending space availability.
Do I have to live in an RC as a sophomore? Are there other RLSH facilities where I can live?
- If you are required to live on-campus next year, you may request to live in Upperclass housing including Moore (shared efficiency apartments), Daniel (shared apartment with single bedroom), or SMU Service House (interview required)
Can I live in my Greek house as a sophomore?
- Yes, if your sorority or fraternity chapter has space for you to live there. You must still complete the housing Reapplication in order to process the request and meet the on-campus residency requirement. You will also need to complete any paperwork your chapter requires such as a sublease or other housing agreement and provide a copy of to RLSH.
Can I move to a different residential commons for next year?
- Most students will remain in their residential commons for next year, with limited opportunity to transfer to another community. To apply for a different residential commons, log into the housing portal, go to the Current Resident links and use the "Apply for RC Transfer on orgs.smu" link. Students will be notified by March 6th if they are approved or waitlisted for their requested commons.
Is there enough space for rising juniors and seniors?
- Yes. As long as a junior or senior completes the reapplication process February 2-23, they will have housing for next year.
Can I move off-campus as a sophomore? If I’m from Dallas, can I request to live at home my sophomore year?
- Typically if you lived on-campus your first-year, you are required to live on-campus again.
What does it cost to live in an RC?
- For 2015-16, the academic year cost for double occupancy is $10,120. Single occupancy is $12,610.
Do I have to have a dining plan?
- Residents in the Residential Commons must have a dining plan.
- Second year (sophomore) residents must have a "7 Day" dining plan. For dining purposes, sophomore is determined by the number of years a student has lived on-campus, not credit hours. Generally speaking, if you are required to live on-campus for two years, you must have a "7 Day" plan during those two years.
- Junior and senior students may select from additional dining plans.
- Residents in Moore, Daniel and Service House may sign up for a dining plan, but it is not required.
Why are Smith and Perkins not available for next year?
- Smith and Perkins will be renovated during the 2015-16 academic year and will re-open as upperclass housing in the Fall of 2016. Current residents of Smith and Perkins may request to be assigned to other residential communities during reapplication.
How do I request an accommodation for a disability?
- RLSH works with the Disability Accommodations & Success Strategies (DASS) office regarding disability accommodation in housing. To establish eligibility for accommodation, students must contact DASS and submit required documentation. DASS works with students with learning disabilities, physical disability, psychiatric disorders and others. To request accommodation in housing, students must indicate the request when applying for housing.
Can I study abroad and get housing when I come back?
- Yes, if you are studying abroad this coming Fall semester, be sure to apply for Spring 2016 housing before you leave the end of this semester. Your room assignment will be made towards the end of the Fall semester.
What if I’m studying abroad in the Spring?
- If you lived with us in the Fall, be sure to let us know before you leave that you want to participate in Reapplication and Room Selection for the following year. We will send instruction on how to participate while abroad.
Can I apply for housing if I'm off-campus now?
- Yes, current undergraduates may apply beginning March 16th. Please contact RLSH for information on how you can apply!
How can I request Martin Hall?
- For 2015-16, Martin is designated as graduate housing and may not be requested by undergraduates. Current residents of Martin may return to their same apartment on a limited basis.
Is there housing for Graduate students next year?
- Yes, in Martin and Hawk Halls. Please contact RLSH for information on how to apply.