Housing Reapplication

Frequently Asked Questions about Reapplication

Frequently Asked Questions

If your question isn't answered here, please email us at housing@smu.edu

Am I guaranteed housing next year?

  • Yes, if you are living in a Residential Commons or other residential community, BUT you must reapply February 8-19 in order to participate in room selection. If you apply after February 19, we will assign you pending space availability.

Do I have to live in an RC as a sophomore? Are there other RLSH facilities where I can live? 

  • If you are required to live on-campus next year, you may request to live in Upperclass housing including Moore (shared efficiency apartments),  Daniel (shared apartment with single bedroom), Smith (doubles, some singles) or SMU Service House (interview required)

Can I live in my Greek house as a sophomore?

  • Yes, if your sorority or fraternity chapter has space for you to live there. You must still complete the housing Reapplication in order to process the request and meet the on-campus residency requirement. You will also need to complete any paperwork your chapter requires such as a sublease or other housing agreement and provide a copy of to RLSH. *Meal plans selected during Reapplication will be cancelled for all approved exemptions.

Can I move to a different residential commons for next year?

  • Most students will remain in their residential commons for next year, with limited opportunity to transfer to another community. Students may request to be reassigned to a different commons when reapplying for housing, but may not request a specific building. Assignment to a different commons is typically requested when roommates are not in the same commons this year. RLSH will reassign students to available space after room selection is completed, and will be notified March 31st.

How do I "request/accept" a roommate in the housing portal?

  • The housing portal has a new roommate search functionality this year.
    • If you know who you want to request at a roommate, you will "search" by SMU ID number to find and request that roommate.
    • If you are looking for a new roommate, you can "search" by compatible roommate profile questions and submit a request on the portal.
  • NOTE:  a roommate MUST accept the request in order for roommates to be assigned together.

If my roommate and I live in different communities now, can we request each other?

Roommates from different communities must be willing to be moved out of their community and both may be moved by RLSH to another residential commons to accommodate the request. In this scenario, both roommates need to be willing to be moved in order for the roommate request to be considered. Students in this category will be assigned by RLSH to available space after room selection is completed, and will be notified March 31.

If my roommate and I don't want to return to our current community, how does that work?

You will both need to indicate your Room Selection Intention for "request to be reassigned to a different RC"  or "request upperclass housing." If you are moved to a different community, you will be assigned by RLSH to available space after room selection is completed, and will be notified March 31.

Can I request more than one roommate?

There is a limit of ONE valid/ mutual roommate request. The maximum room occupancy at SMU is two roommates in a double room. Requesting more than one roommate will negatively affect your ability to select a room.  If you have requested multiple roommates using the housing portal, you will need to update this request for one person only.

Can I move off-campus as a sophomore? If I’m from Dallas, can I request to live at home my sophomore year?

  • Typically if you lived on-campus your first-year, you are required to live on-campus again.

What does it cost to live in an RC?

  • For 2016-17, the academic year cost for double occupancy is $10,535. Single occupancy is $13,125.

Do I have to have a dining plan?

  • Residents in the Residential Commons must have a dining plan.
    • Second year (sophomore) residents must have a "7 Day" dining plan. For dining purposes, sophomore is determined by the number of years a student has lived on-campus, not credit hours. Generally speaking, if you are required to live on-campus for two years, you must have a "7 Day" plan during those two years.
    • Junior and senior students may select from additional dining plans.
  • Residents in Smith are required to have a plan with the same guidelines as if living in an RC. 
  • Residents in Moore, Daniel and Service House may sign up for a dining plan, but it is not required.

Can I get a "double as single" in Smith next year?

  • A limited number of "double as single" rooms will be available with priority order for seniors, juniors and rising sophomores in that order.

How do I request an accommodation for a disability?

  • RLSH works with the Disability Accommodations & Success Strategies (DASS) office regarding disability accommodation in housing. To establish eligibility for accommodation, students must contact DASS and submit required documentation. DASS works with students with learning disabilities, physical disability, psychiatric disorders and others. To request accommodation in housing, students must indicate the request when applying for housing in addition to establishing eligibility with DASS.

Can I study abroad and get housing when I come back?

  • Yes, if you are studying abroad this coming Fall semester, be sure to apply for Spring 2017 housing before you leave the end of this semester. Your room assignment will be made towards the end of the Fall semester.

What if I’m studying abroad in the Spring?

  • If you lived with us in the Fall, be sure to let us know before you leave that you want to participate in Reapplication and Room Selection for the following year. We will send instruction on how to participate while abroad.

Can I apply for housing if I'm off-campus now?

  • Yes, current undergraduates may apply beginning March 15th. Please contact RLSH for information on how you can apply!

How can I request Martin Hall?

  • For 2016-17, Martin is designated for graduate students and seniors. A limited number of apartments will be available for seniors. Current residents of Martin may return to their same apartment on a limited basis.

Is there housing for Graduate students next year?

  • Yes, in Martin and Hawk Halls. Please contact RLSH for information on how to apply.

rev. 02/03/2016