Mandatory Student Health Insurance

Student Health Insurance Requirements

International Intensive English (IEP) Students

Intensive English Program (IEP) Students (attending SMU on a visa) must enroll in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) as a condition of enrollment, unless they have a special waiver personally granted by the Health Center staff.  International students may only apply for a waiver if

  1. the student is covered by a comparable U.S. health insurance plan provided/purchased by their Embassy or
  2. the student provides documentation of comparable U.S. health insurance coverage by a U.S. employer, including international medical evacuation and repatriation

IEP Students enroll in SHIP through Academic Health Plans' website, not through Access.

Under either waiver circumstance listed above, documentation, including a copy of the health insurance policy or certificate and Insurance ID card, must be presented with the Waiver Application Form to the Student Health Center each term in order to be considered. International policies or policies from the student’s home country are not accepted. If the student is not provided comparable coverage through their Embassy or by a U.S. employer, as mentioned above, then the student must enroll in the SHIP.. To enroll in the plan for the IEP terms the student must go to and select 'Enroll Online'. At this time, the student will also be required to pay the insurance premium by credit card or e-check for the selected IEP term for which they are enrolling. IEP student’s premium is not applied to their University account and must be paid to Academic Health Plans directly.

If you have questions, please contact the Insurance Coordinator at the Health Center by emailing