Did you know that nearly half of antibiotic prescriptions are not needed? Using antibiotics too much, too often, or not finishing a prescription reduces their effectiveness and can cause a problem called “antibiotic resistance.”
The good news is that you can protect your health and help prevent this growing problem. Here’s how:
- Don’t insist on antibiotics for yourself
- Ask your doctor, “is this antibiotic really necessary?”
- Only take antibiotics that follow a doctor’s instructions- don’t take a friends’ medication or pills from an old prescription.
- Prevent infections by washing your hands.
- Remember to get vaccinated for things such as the flu
- Finish each prescription that you receive – don’t stop taking an antibiotic once you feel better.
You can learn more about this problem from the Centers for Disease Control web site: www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/community