The best way to entice an employer to read your resume is to write a cover letter that highlights specific reasons why you would be a strong fit for the position.
- Why are you writing?
- How did you find out about position?
- Why are you interested?
- Preface the skills you are going to highlight in next paragraph that align with position/company
- How do your qualifications fit the job?
- Identify skills NOT MENTIONED in the resume
- Highlight important soft skills
- Identify your character and provide examples UNIQUE to the resume – work ethic, ability to go above and beyond
- Ask for an opportunity to talk on the phone, or have an interview
- Optional summary statement
- Parallel opening with company and position name