The program objectives are S.M.A.R.T.
(Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relational and Time-Specific)
85% of McNair Scholar participants will complete research and scholarly activities that will directly impact their educational progression each McNair program academic year.
6% of McNair Scholar Program bachelor’s degree recipients (or equivalent) will be accepted and enrolled in a post-baccalaureate program of study by the fall term of the academic year immediately following the completion of bachelor’s degree (or equivalent).
65% of first year graduate students will continue to be enrolled in graduate school at the beginning of the fall term of the next academic year.
10% of McNair Scholar Program participants will attain a doctoral degree within 10 Years of the attainment of the bachelor’s degree.
Given the legislative intent of the McNair Scholars Program, as a result of their
McNair experiences, participants will be able to:
- Distinguish between undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral-level education;
- Research and identify potential graduate programs in their field of study;
- Research and identify potential sources of financial support for graduate study;
- Develop a cogent research design;
- Describe and present their research at national conferences and to varied audiences;
- Describe and explain pathways and obstacles to the professoriate.